support unicef Support American Whitewater!

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: Need planning info for paddle camping trip in the Fjords of Norway

Need planning info for paddle camping trip in the Fjords of Norway 12 years 1 month ago #32267

• PJinHawaii
  • Grom Boarder
A buddy and I are planning to do a sea kayak camping trip (~7 days) in Norway in July 2012.
We will be coming from Hawaii (LONG trip) and this will be our first paddling trip in Northern Europe. We have lots of experience in canoe camping and paddling, just not in Europe.

We are looking for someone with 1st hand local knowledge to answer some questions for us.

We are considering the Gudvangen to Solvorn route, (Aurlandsfjord and the Naroyfjord area) but are most definately open to other suggestions.

We want to go unguided, ~7 days. Our style is fairly leasurely. We prefer to paddle in the most natural areas possible. The fewer people/roads/towns the better. We prefer sheltered calm water routes whenever possible.

Our questions:
1. Boat rental : we are considering renting boat(s) from Njord in Flam. Anyone have 1st hand experience with them?
2. Open Boats? We do have the option of using a "Pakboat" canoe that we could bring from home. Would this folding open canoe be a bad decision for that route/area?
3. Where can we get good maps for paddling that area?
4. Are there maps with campsites marked on them? or perhaps databases of GPS locations for good campsites?
5. Are there any rules about human waste in that area? Bury it? pack it out? or perhaps it's like the boundary waters in Minnesota with primative "facilities" provided at the campsites?
6. What do you do about fresh water? Are there springs? or do you have to pack it in?

It would be great to chat with someone who has actually been there and done that.

Sending Aloha from far far away,
PJ in Hawaii
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Need planning info for paddle camping trip in the Fjords of Norway 12 years 1 month ago #32268

• Julianstocker
  • Grom Boarder
Hi PJ

If you are looking for someone with first hand local knowledge then I have the right people for you. Based in Bergen God Tur can help you out. They are active paddlers them self and they offer rental, advice ect. The Company just got some government fundings to map out new routes for seakayak tours. They know the west coast of norway sealine!

I have worked for Njord in Flom and they are great operators in the branch, they mainly aim is to offer tours for tourist. I do not know if that's what your looking for. I guess you want to do it your self.

Copy past this message to [mail address protected from spambots with javascript]
and I think they can help you out.

Best regards Julian.

Re: Need planning info for paddle camping trip in the Fjords of Norway 12 years 1 month ago #32272

• PJinHawaii
  • Grom Boarder
Thank you Julian!

I will definately follow-up on your suggestion.

By the way, I think there is a typo in the e-mail addy you gave... I'm guessing it is supposed to be [mail address protected from spambots with javascript] (not got-tur).

PJ

Re: Need planning info for paddle camping trip in the Fjords of Norway 12 years 1 month ago #32279

• PJinHawaii
  • Grom Boarder
March 7, 2012 update:
Julian's suggestion didn't work out.
Still looking for good sources of information. Anyone?
PJ

Re: Need planning info for paddle camping trip in the Fjords of Norway 12 years 10 hours ago #32358

• chops
  • Grom Boarder
Hi PJ, we used to paddle on the fjords before they got rid of the ferry from the UK.
I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge, but also feel free to contact me with any other questions.
1. Boat rental. - I've never done this, but I've heard it is possible.
2. A Packboat would be fine, we used inflatables with no problem.
3. Not sure really, we got them online, can't remember where from, sorry.
4. Yes the official campsites are marked on the maps. Nearly every village has a campsite. Wild camping is also fine, as long as you are discreet. Everybody has the right to wild camp in Norway, as long as you observe a few rules.
There's only one problem with wildcamping in the fjords, the sides are bloody steep, lightweight hammocks are a good idea, unless you fancy sleeping in the boat! Wildcamping spots can be few & far between & they can be very popular during the holidays.
5. I've always buried human waste, but make sure its away from streams etc.
6. I drank straight out of small, fast streams, but if in doubt purify.

When are you planning to go? I've found it is dryer in June & July, than August & Early September.
You might live much further away from Norway than I do, but the silly thing is, its just as hard for us to get there, than it is for you.

Re: Need planning info for paddle camping trip in the Fjords of Norway 11 years 11 months ago #32390

• jeffreymcfincze512
  • Grom Boarder
thanks for sharing

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.