support unicef Support American Whitewater!

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: White Nile Safety Concerns?

White Nile Safety Concerns? 14 years 3 months ago #28746

• gohuge
  • Pro Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I am researching the White Nile as a destination for a high school group. One of our families top concerns will be safety. Can anyone share with me the safety concerns and reports I should research/be aware of as I make this proposal?

Thank you for any feedback/connections.

David Hughes
New River Academy
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:White Nile Safety Concerns? 14 years 3 months ago #28749

• TBudd
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
There is an In Between Swim Pod Cast about an expedition to the White Nile you should really listen to. Go over to Itunes and check it out if you haven't already.

It's towards the end of Back to the Core episode but the white nile is touched on by a few of the podcasts (tyler bradt, etc.).

Re:White Nile Safety Concerns? 14 years 3 months ago #28754

• AdrianTregoning
  • Thank you received: 8
As with 99% of African countries, you'll have your standard concerns.... Malaria, spiders, snakes, ultra dodgy hospitals etc. Nothing too bad, just stay away from hospitals!

If you do get injured and depending on the injury, fly home, simple. :huh: An American friend of mine (living here for a few years now) got hurt on the Nile and says you'd rather want to doctor yourself than spend any time in a hospital there, seriously. But that much should be obvious anyway.

Hundreds of people go and they're all fine. :laugh: Mate of mine went last year and got some weird fungus growing on his foot. He lived, of course ;)

Re:White Nile Safety Concerns? 14 years 3 months ago #28756

• Jeroen
  • Administrator
AdrianTregoning wrote:
As with 99% of African countries...

How beautifully diplomatic :D
If you're happy, you're successful.

Re:White Nile Safety Concerns? 14 years 3 months ago #28763

• AdrianTregoning
I mostly exclude South Africa from that statement... :blush:

Re:White Nile Safety Concerns? 14 years 3 months ago #28767

• warthog999
  • Grom Boarder
With respect to safety, I think you should split it up into on-river safety and off.
I presume you mean the White Nile near Jinga?

Lots of back packers/overlanders pass thru here.

The river itself is pretty good wrt dangers you'd normally expect with big volume water. And there are lots of access points, it's not like the Zambezi or Colorado that are in deep gorges.

Off river is a bit different. Is a malarial area and sure hospitals probably not somewhere you'd want anything really intricate done to you, altho Jinga the nearby town has what seemed to me to be a reasonable clinic. The river water is pretty clean, I don't think many people get sick from it after rafting o kayaking. The risk from robbery or violent crime is pretty low too I think, compared to any other African river. Well, is probably same as the Zambezi.

I'd ask Jamie at kayakthenile.com for his feed back on this as well. He's an honest, straight forward guy.
Best regards,
Alan Jarvis
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.