support unicef Support American Whitewater!

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: surf kayak HAWAII 0ahu? xmas?

surf kayak HAWAII 0ahu? xmas? 17 years 6 months ago #9580

• chris71
  • Gold Boarder
Anybody had any experience and advice to give for kayak surfing in Hawaii, specifically on Oahu, Xmas time holiday!?

I'd love to try it, how will the surf be? where to avoid the crowds??
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:surf kayak HAWAII 0ahu? xmas? 17 years 5 months ago #10579

• chisholm
  • Pro Boarder
I'm heading to Oahu in January. Did you find any info on surf kayaking? I wonder if there are any rivers to run? All the info out there talks about long boats and sea kayaking. B

Re:surf kayak HAWAII 0ahu? xmas? 17 years 5 months ago #10620

• chris71
  • Gold Boarder
There is SOME WW in Hawaii --- looks like Big Island... See www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River...te-summary/state/HI/

I was told that SURF will be UP, but different sides of the island will have different sized swell (North Shore should be Winter Huge) - fun to watch, other spots to surf...

Re:surf kayak HAWAII 0ahu? xmas? 17 years 5 months ago #10737

• chisholm
  • Pro Boarder
I'll be staying on Oahu, no travel between islands. You are right about the North Shore. It should be pretty intense. I think they begin there surf competition in late January and Febuary.

Re:surf kayak HAWAII 0ahu? xmas? 17 years 5 months ago #10908

• chris71
  • Gold Boarder
Pipeline is actually earlier in Dec. The memorial big wave doesn't have set dates - they wait until the waves are sustained HUGE and then call the comp...

Re:surf kayak HAWAII 0ahu? xmas? 17 years 5 months ago #10929

• chisholm
  • Pro Boarder
You're right on there. December is the start.
Jan/Feb are Big.

Unless things change and can find some more info, I will be surfing on a board not in a boat. :think:

Re:surf kayak HAWAII 0ahu? xmas? 17 years 3 months ago #11850

• chris71
  • Gold Boarder
Well, Had a great time in Hawaii!
Rented surf kayaks from Go Bananas - great folks, John the owner has a lot of info... and the DO have some playboats - An Orbit, a Chronic and a wavesport score I think it was... But the sit on top performance surf kayaks are great fun - I suggest you give them a try...
True, I wasn't able to get out into as big surf as in my playboat - but you don't need to either -t ehy surf great, pick up speed well, and I was able to roll them OK...

No rivers to be seen, everything there is very 'flashy' and very steep, might be some creekin' but nothing that we could figure out...

Aloha!

Re:surf kayak HAWAII 0ahu? xmas? 17 years 3 months ago #11858

• chisholm
  • Pro Boarder
Mahalo, for the info. I just sent John at Go Bananas an email.
I heading there in three weeks. Can't wait!

Re:surf kayak HAWAII 0ahu? xmas? 17 years 3 months ago #12071

• Deepsouth
  • Grom Boarder
Chris, I am a Colorado ww paddler and I am headed to Oahu for 2-3 months and plan to have plenty of free time. Do you think it is worth shipping my playboat out there or is it just as fun with the sit-on-top surfers?

Re:surf kayak HAWAII 0ahu? xmas? 17 years 3 months ago #12144

• chris71
  • Gold Boarder
well, for 2-3 months, I think I would take my boat. I didn't bother, but you can take it on the airline, might be a charge, check the forums for more info on flying with your boat. I guess shipping it cargo might be an option too.
The sit on tops were 'high performance' as they go, and carved nicely. However, one certainly can't blunt or such with one, and spinning didn't seem to work either... just really good carvers...
I'd say try them, but if i'd be there for 3 months, I'd take my playboat...

Re:surf kayak HAWAII 0ahu? xmas? 17 years 3 months ago #12151

• chisholm
  • Pro Boarder
Check with the airline.
United charges $170 round trip.
Renting may get expensive...
;)

Re:surf kayak HAWAII 0ahu? xmas? 17 years 3 months ago #12175

• chris71
  • Gold Boarder
170 probably isn't bad. You could always try just showing up with it as one of your 2 pieces of luggage, tell em it's 'surf gear' and see if the agent is feeling friendly...

Good luck!

Re:surf kayak HAWAII 0ahu? xmas? 17 years 3 months ago #12176

• Deepsouth
  • Grom Boarder
Thanks guys for the info! I think I am going to buy a used Necky switch I found here in Co. and take it with me,then sell it out there when I'm done. I'm sure there are more people like us going out there that would appreciate finding a decked playboat for cheap? Aloha!

Re:surf kayak HAWAII 0ahu? xmas? 17 years 3 months ago #12179

• chisholm
  • Pro Boarder
I'm headin' to Honolulu on Jan. 22nd. I will be back the following week. I'll let you know if I find anything else out.

The P52 is staying home and I will be renting something from GO Banana's while there.

Re:surf kayak HAWAII 0ahu? xmas? 17 years 2 months ago #12958

• chris71
  • Gold Boarder
hey Chisholm - how was your vacation?? :grin: :grin:

Re:surf kayak HAWAII 0ahu? xmas? 17 years 2 months ago #12959

• chisholm
  • Pro Boarder
It was an awesome vacation! I didn't do any surf kayaking.:bitching: Did some regular board surfing but there were so many people out on the Waikiki breaks it wasn't much fun. The waves were massive (20-25 footers) on the Northshore. It was fun just to sit and watch the pros have there turn.
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.