Support American Whitewater! Support American Whitewater!

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: ocean surfing

ocean surfing 18 years 1 month ago #4705

• Kayaker0678
  • Guru Boarder
Are there any good web site on how to do? I am from Indiana and going out to cali in the summer and need to learn how to learn. Do post about ediqute cuz there is already a thread on that please. just how is it different from a river wave. and duh i know it moves
The administrator has disabled public write access.

ocean surfing 18 years 1 month ago #4709

• nathan
  • Guru Boarder
We'll getting out of the surf is pretty interesting. ;-) First you have to push yourself, really far into the water from the beach. You'll feel like a turtle. Then you make it into water that can float you. Make sure that a small wave doesn't push you back on shore. Then you paddle out a bit more. The huge waves will come at you. Keep paddling at them. It can be tough to time, you do not want to start paddling as soon as the wave comes. You need to have built up momentum. If the wave has Just started to break, then it is best to go throught it. After 2 seconds of breaking, edge and boof stroke over it. Backenders are the norm!! Catch waves like a surfer, sit where the swells are rolling. Paddle up over them as they break, and grind the green. Spin as you slide down the green and enjoy. You probaly won't be able to throw any sweet tricks nor get bounce. I was on 8 ft waves and they didn't dish out anything but verticle tricks and flat spinning. Wave wheels are very effective at getting over the waves, :yes: Etiquett is easy to figure out!! don't worry. Most surfers are little punks and you will rip so much harrder than them. I will be surfing the ocean spring break.

ocean surfing 18 years 1 month ago #4710

• JMurphy
  • Pro Boarder
I went surfing in Costa Rica and found it to be intimidating, yet incredibly fun. It's much like catching a river wave, like nathan says. I agree with his advice. If a breaking wave looks too big for you to get through as you are paddling out, or if your timing is just off, simply turn around quick and ride it back to shore. You will get pretty trashed. Once you are out where the waves are starting, just get your timing right so you can catch the wave. And lean back while front surfing, because I noticed that accidental pearling was one of my biggest problems with riding the ocean waves, but maybe that was just me. It's pretty easy to get the hang of if you have river experience. Flat spins and bounce were all I could get. Again, like nathan says, wave wheels are fun to try if you are going out over a wave that hasn't broken yet. Have fun.

ocean surfing 18 years 1 month ago #4719

• michielv
  • Guru Boarder
Surfing the ocean is a completely different thing than surfing a river.

For some info on how to surf the ocean: www.canoewales.com/
(check the surf tab in the menu). Or check BoaterTalk Surfzone (www.boatertalk.com/forum/surfzone).

BTW: there is an etiquette amongst surfers and I advise you to behave accordingly. Granted, most surfers may look like little punks but remember you're in a kayak and able to catch waves a lot easier than a board. So dropping in (stealing someone elses wave) is not very nice to do. Besides, most playboaters don't know how to surf the ocean properly and simply go straight for the beach, trying to make a move or two and that's it. Boarders and kayaksurfers go parallel to the waves and might end up somewhere where you don't expect them.

It is very hard to surf parallel in a playboat, although some models are more siutable than others. If you have a choice of boats: go for the fastest model you have. If it's slightly longer, no problem. Apart from true surfkayaks most older playboats (such as the Riot Glide, Disco etc.) are very nice to surf. Short butt-bouncers are simply too slow. They can be fun but not as much fun as an old Riot or a surf kayak.

Anyway, I'll stop ranting but remember, kayakers don't usually have a good reputation amongst boarders so it's best to behave politely, smile and say hi when you wait your turn in the line up and if you can pull out a few nice bottom turns and an aerial, all the better!

ocean surfing 18 years 1 month ago #4720

• donmarty
  • Pro Boarder
To me, besides the board surfers / wind surfers and kite surfers + the fact that ocean waves stop at a certain point, the surfing is the same as on a river. You can throw any move you want. If the surf is up, you'll be bouncing like a mad man and will just hang on for dear life. Huge air can be achieved, even if you don't know how to :). It all depends on how high the waves are on that day. When you flip, Í normally don't try to roll, just move your paddle and you'll be upright before you realize it.

About the paralel surfing: I don't do that, it takes up way too much space, which I want to safe for my friends :).

About the boat: I surf in small playboats, which is fast enough if you want to do playmoves, especially if the waves break a lot. Only if you want to do that paralel surfing they might be too slow.

I won't go into surfers etiquette, since this is something I still don't get. I never had problems, but that could be because I stick to the breakers far away from the beach, board surfers normally stay closer to the beach.

ocean surfing 18 years 1 month ago #4724

• crazy_babey
  • Expert Boarder
I will have you know that the best way to get the biggest air is by staying on the green wave and surfing down the line. As said before a longet boat is better but some small models can do it just as well. This is how you generate all of your speed you stay in the pocket and carve as you carve back into the shoulder pump the front of you boat down and then carve into a huge ariel blunt throwing your weight back then forward. This is exactly how you get big blunt and pan ams on a river wave.

ocean surfing 18 years 1 month ago #4726

• Kayaker0678
  • Guru Boarder
I am really just trying to stay afoat on the wave my boat is 192 cm

ocean surfing 18 years 3 weeks ago #4756

• crazy_babey
  • Expert Boarder
When first going surfing just ride the waves staight towards the beach you will soon get a feel for it!

ocean surfing 18 years 3 weeks ago #4757

• Kayaker0678
  • Guru Boarder
i really just need to know how to "drop in"

ocean surfing 18 years 3 weeks ago #4817

• chris71
  • Gold Boarder
Surfing ocean can be frustrating, keep at it!
timing is key, both in paddling out, and in 'dropping in' or 'catching' a wave ride...
Basically, once you've fought out through the waves to the outside of the sets (beyond where they are breaking)... keep an eye on the rolling sets, watch for the bigger ones..
Pick your wave, turn towards shore, and paddle! as the wave builds underneath you.. you should start to feel the rip (more like a wave on the river) underneath you, keep paddling!
Keep your weight centered back, as you really really don't want to 'PEARL' (sp?) - in which your nose will dive, particularily in a playboat, and your tail will come up over your head and you will experience the salt water washing machine...
As you begin to get pushed forward and pick up speed, lean back, and settle in for the ride.
As mentioned above, try to run straight for the beach the first time or two, just to get used to the dynamics... after that, try cutting left and right, use your paddle as a 'rudder' - no real strokes needed...

Do watch out for surfers, even punks... My Super EZ would surely kill some kid if I ran into him after dropping into an 8 footer...
Best to wait your turn, there are plenty of waves.. might also want to avoid any areas that are just choke full of surfers... Kayakers can pick up and ride waves in less desirable places than surfers, so just find your own waves...

Have fun!!

ocean surfing 18 years 3 weeks ago #4821

• Urge
  • Guru Boarder
keep your weight forward not back ward as you will lock your hips out if you look at the pictures from wwww.goatboater.com you will see how aggresively they are actually leaning forward into turns etc if you find you are pearlin lift a knee or try taking off at a different angle! just practise on the smaller stuff first.

to drop in start paddling progressivly harder and faster when a wave becomes steepand you should proppel forwards. when you start off you will use lots of strokes to catch a wave the better you get the less you will need some people can just use one stroke or can turn from paddlin out and catch the wave in one move.

Also try to surf on the green wave not cartwheelin and spinning in the foam wiping every one out that is paddlin out

have fun and let us know how you get on

Re:ocean surfing 17 years 4 months ago #10726

• Faber
  • Grom Boarder
Thanx Urge for thet great site, its got the best photos!!!

Im use to paddleing in the river (Vaalriver, South-Africa)
Not to big.
Anyway, I bought a Riot Glide and its realy great, but Im going to Coffee Bay the 12th of Desember and want to tri out a few small waves, Im realy happy to hear that the Riot Glide are mensioned for surfing waves.

Im a bit scared because I dont realy know what to expect and If I flip and cant rolle, what then, should I just bail and swim to the beatch?

Wish there were someone also going to coffee bay that can assist me,

Well, have a great week.

Faber.

ps: how important is aer bags in my kayak if I want to play in the waves?
Attachments:

Re:ocean surfing 17 years 4 months ago #10728

• AdrianTregoning
  • Thank you received: 8
Hey Werner,

Yeah, flotation in your boat is pretty important. A mate of mine swam in the sea last year after a severe beating by some big waves. He evetually ran out of air and energy after being hammered by a few sets and popped his deck. Not a good idea. Your best bet is to have a good roll which is simple to do. Just practise. Due to strong rip currents he had to be rescued by the life guards. That rescue took 40 minutes or so... I paddled in his boat which was an absolute nightmare! It took me ages to get back to the beach and being attached to a boat with no bouyancy in it is the last thing I ever want to do. Don't paddle alone on that coast line unless you are well confident... The waves along the Tranksei coast line can be nasty, as can the sharks. I'm going to Plettenberg Bay if you've got the option of going somewhere else. Come paddle the Klip with me and get some practise :)

Cheers
Adrian:bounce:

Re:ocean surfing 17 years 4 months ago #10746

• Urge
  • Guru Boarder
I would agree with adrian airbags will help you out if you swim, they work by stopping water fill up the area where the bags are so your boat will be easier to swim in/ rescue. Your best bet is to keep practising your rolling and dont worry about waiting for the water to calm down then try.

Start in the smaller waves once you are feeling happy move out a bit further experiment with body position and the angle of your boats through turns. I always remember what a surf coach told his group years ago \" Think your paddle shaft is cover in dog sh*t you want to keep it as far away from you as possible!\" this gets you to push your body weight onto the rail and forwards away from you this will reallly help you learn to bottom turn!

Good Luck dude have fun and be safe

Re:ocean surfing 17 years 4 months ago #10755

• Whitewaterules
  • Guru Boarder
I wrote this article a while back. You may find it useful.

Ocean surfing is exhilarating. The size of the surf can be many times greater than that any river wave. The vast expanse of the horizon gives a sense of a global scale. One may realize that this energy has traveled hundreds of miles. To many, this is the stuff dreams are made of.

Get The BIG Picture:
Before getting in the ocean, take a few minutes and observe. Is the tide coming in or going out? Are there rocks or reefs that pose a hazard? Can you safely handle the size of the surf? Are there any watercrafts or sealife that may pose a threat to your safety?

Getting Past The Breaks:
Timing is critical when attempting to get out past the big breaks. Typically, waves come in sets, get out between them. The wall of foam created from a wave that has crashed can be a formidable opponent. If a wave has already crashed and a foam pile is coming, you MUST get the nose above the foam-pile. Rock the bow up and pull on your knees just before the foam pile hits. As soon as the nose is on the foam pile, slam the bow back down and paddle hard. The motion of throwing the bow back down acts like an ollie, bringing your weight back over the boat and the tail up to the surface. This should help keep you from getting stuck in a backward-surf. So to recap, clear the nose, slam it down, and paddle hard.

Catching Waves:
Okay so one quick thing about catching a wave; as the wave approaches your boat, paddle hard and put your boat on edge. Get on a rail and paddle until you have gained some momentum. You will be able to catch waves more easily as you are putting your boat on a track. You should also be heading slightly right or left on the wave.

So Now You're On The Wave:
It's important that you DON'T look straight ahead as you surf your wave. Turn your head and notice where you are in relationship to the wave, next choose where you want to go. Spot a target, lead with your head, and go to that spot. Be decisive and look at where you want to be, not where you are going. Some paddlers complain that their bow dives under as they surf down the wave. If this is the case, lean back and travel in diagonal paths so the bow does not bottom out in the trough of the wave. Cutting back and forth also helps pull you higher on the wave as you expose more surface area to the oncoming current.

Quick Tip:
When trying to turn on a wave use a combination of forward sweep strokes and stern rudders on the opposite side. If you only rudder you will not have the momentum to drop you into your next turn (like planting a ski pole ahead of your turn helps redirect your momentum). Ruddering alone, works well to pull you up the waveface. Forward sweep strokes, work well to help you fall down the wave faster.

Last But Not Least:
If you capsize try to go with it and roll up the other side. If you miss your first roll, wait a few second for the water to settle down a bit before you try again. Stay relaxed, composed, and confident; two things you won't have to worry about are strainers, and keepers. It can be a bit difficult to roll in a foam pile because of turbulence and foam. Foam is less dense than green water. Therefore, it becomes harder to catch tension with the paddle blade. Waiting for the foam to settle can help give you the support you need. If your Eskimo Roll still fails remember to keep your head down and hip snap!

I hope this helps. Also... check out Kayaking footage at:
www.broadbandsports.com/taxonomy/term/8

Saddle-Up,
Boe

Re:ocean surfing 17 years 4 months ago #10760

• plodbax
  • Expert Boarder
Just give it heaps. once your on use stern rudders and just carve up. if your going to get dumped on it spin down the face easyest way to save your ass and keep your rails up

Re:ocean surfing 17 years 4 months ago #10763

• Urge
  • Guru Boarder
plodbax wrote:
Just give it heaps. once your on use stern rudders and just carve up. if your going to get dumped on it spin down the face easyest way to save your ass and keep your rails up

I would personally not recommend the use of stern rdders as they just add drag and put your shoulder at risk in surf! They also get in the way your just going to have to go throught the whole learning process as every other surfer has had to do! If you can try a surf kayk out soo much more fun than a river boat!

Re:ocean surfing 17 years 4 months ago #10769

• taliesin38
  • Guru Boarder
Float bags are only important if you wet exit. Don't forget to kick your boat on edge when paddling out into the waves. This allows your boat to cut through the white so you don't do many backwards cartwheels.

Re:ocean surfing 17 years 4 months ago #10776

• Whitewaterules
  • Guru Boarder
Urge wrote:
plodbax wrote:

I would personally not recommend the use of stern rdders as they just add drag and put your shoulder at risk in surf! They also get in the way your just going to have to go throught the whole learning process as every other surfer has had to do! If you can try a surf kayk out soo much more fun than a river boat!

Well,
:no: First, I disagree with both statements. You should use a combination of stern rudders and forward sweepstrokes, depending on if you are trying to fall down the wave or pull yoursef up the wave and how quickly you want to change direction.

Secondly,
:no: As having been an athletic training student, studied biomechanics and acute illness and injury, I can tell you that correct stern rudder position does NOT to put your shoulder at greater risk of injury in the surf. Unless, you have had a anterior-inferior subluxation or luxation of the glenohumeral complex with the glenohumeral joint in extention and slight abduction. This is a long way of saying a partial or full dislocation of your shoulder with the arm straight, down, back and away from you body (this is very dificult to do without a strong direct hit from a moving object or person/s as would happen in maybe American Football).

:yes: Stick to the article I wrote a few messages higher and you're golden.

Peace,
Whitewaterules

Re:ocean surfing 17 years 4 months ago #10796

• Faber
  • Grom Boarder
Thank you all for advising me. I dont know if Im more exited to tri it out or more scared of all the things that can go wrong.

Adrian, Im definately stil joining you for the Klip, I know you asked me to join you and everytime im busy but next year Ill have much more time on my hands. so ill make a plan to join you some time.
Way do they call it the Klip?

Anyway I cant wait for the 12th to go down to Coffee bay. You must all check out the \"Coffee Shack\" website, great for a camping experiance!!
Wil upload pics of our stay later.
Cheers!!!
:dance:

Attachments:

Re:ocean surfing 17 years 4 months ago #10797

• AdrianTregoning
  • Thank you received: 8
Sounds like a plan. Jan/Feb/Mar will be pretty busy time for paddling :) Hope you're ready.

Why do they call it the Klip? No idea. Miskien is daar baie klippe op die rivier se vloer? hehe.. I'm paddling either the Klip or Jukskei this sunday. I heard on the radio now that the Jukskei is flooding and people/motorists must be aware... wooo hooo 8)

Re:ocean surfing 17 years 4 months ago #10818

• Faber
  • Grom Boarder
HAHA:roflol: Flooding bad for some people and Fun for others I gess:-)

I might be working Jan but Feb Mar sounds like fun.

My budget might be in the green again by then aswell:-)

Have a nice day, Im finished with examps, going to the vlei for a braai and watching the Rugby later:-)

HeeHaa Party time!!:dance:
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.