This is a must stroke to know as using cross deck instead of a J all the times make the boat move lot faster and is easier to get the boat moving. The numbers in the corner of the animation relate to each passage of text.
- Cross the paddle over to the off side and place it in like you would on your on side to do a catch.
- Pull the blade along to pull the boat forward twisting the your body to add the power into the stroke. This takes some practice to get the blade to move in a straight line without hurting your arms so be careful...
- Keep the blade moving until it comes level with your body.
- Now turn the blade to it is parallel with the boat.
- Push it forward keeping it parallel with the boat so it will slice through the water.
- Push it through the water until it comes to where you started.
- Turn the blade back to the driving face, facing you.
- Now begin the catch again using your hips to help put more force into the stroke.