support unicef Support American Whitewater!

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: Paddling in South Africa

Paddling in South Africa 14 years 4 months ago #28480

• dolly
  • Expert Boarder
Hi guys

Im heading out to South Africa for 8 months in January to volunteer at an Outdoor Education Centre based in Hogsback, near East London. Just wondering what there is to do paddling wise or if anyone has any contacts out there- clubs etc.

Cheers!

Alex
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Paddling in South Africa 14 years 4 months ago #28482

• jajauma
  • Gold Boarder
Adrian Tregoning is the one to talk to--he's in Indonesia right now, but look him up. I'm sure he'll have plenty to tell you when he gets back (this weekend, I believe). Full of knowledge, that one. ;)

Re:Paddling in South Africa 14 years 4 months ago #28486

• Jurgen
  • Expert Boarder
Strange - I replied to this earlier on but my post seems to have been deleted.

I used to live in that area and have fond memories of Hogsback. Take a MTB if you have one, there is good biking around there.
Kayaking wise - there is no decent river within a 100 km radius. There might be some obscure tributary that might flow after heavy rains but nothing that flows consistently.
Nearest river that flows all year round is the Fish River near Craddock which is part of an irrigation scheme and has some good sections on it (3 hour drive at least).
There is excellent surf all along that stretch of coast with great breaks around East London (Nahoon Reef, Gonubie, Yellowsands).
There are 2 rivers in the East London area (Nahoon and Gonubie Rivers) that are pretty good after heavy rains. Your best bet would be to contact some locals for details. Border Canoe Club has some kayakers in it but concentrate mainly on long distance K1 stuff.

Bigger rivers around are the Kei River (class 3) but I am unsure about access nowadays (unless you dont mind paddling from the bridge to the mouth - 80 km).
Another goodie is the Tsomo (class 4+). A great run but local knowledge is required. If you get an opportunity to get onto this drop everything and go. It has awesome playboating and some seriously steep stuff also.
Anymore questions fire away (bearing in mind I dont actually live there anymore).

Re:Paddling in South Africa 14 years 4 months ago #28487

• andrewPoll
  • Junior Boarder
I also used to live in East London. Paddling wise nahoon reef is probably the most consistent place to paddle. Its also probably one of the best waves to surf in a kayak, check out these clips.

Like what Jurgen Has said the Fish will be your best be as its the only river with water all year round. The you might be able to get on the Kei river if the water is still up in Jan.

I still have a good friend who lives there and paddles quite a bit, send me a mail and ill forward you his details.

later,
Andrew

Re:Paddling in South Africa 14 years 4 months ago #28527

• AdrianTregoning
  • Thank you received: 8
I think you'll enjoy South Africa - I've lived here all my life and everytime I go somewhere else, and come home, I realise just how awesome it really is! :-)

The threads already posted have given some very good info, so nothing more for me to really add. You're close to the region previously known as the 'Transkei' which is a gold mine for kayaking... Probably the best in South Africa. Check it out!

As Andrew also said, Nahoon Reef (East London) is world class. Possibly the best surf kayaking wave around.... ;-) Conditions depending - and also very sharky... :ohmy:

Any other questions shoot me a pm, and check out my site too :laugh:
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.