support unicef Support American Whitewater!

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: Best time to visit Africa

Best time to visit Africa 15 years 1 month ago #25095

• AllenG
  • Gold Boarder
Hi Guys,

I'm looking at organising a trip to Africa (Zambezi and Nile) with a few mates. Basic plan at the moment would be to go over there for about a month. In my mind, I'm most excited about the Zambezi, but it'd definitely be worth while getting to the Nile whilst I'm over there.

What would be the best time of year to paddle the Zambezi? Trying to organise the best time to plan the trip, then everything stems from that.

With the current state of the Nile Dam project, would it be best to maybe stay 3 weeks at the Zambezi and goto the Nile for a week? Or I wouldn't care if I just went to the Zambezi!

Also on film a lot of the footage looks pretty crazy. But some I think is in pretty high water, or footage of say rapid #9 which many people walk anyway. I'm not sure if I have an accurate representation of the river. How do you know if you're truly ready for something like the Zambezi? I believe I have the skills to hit my lines and all that but I haven't paddled any big water style rivers, we just don't have that in Australia.

Also what about getting river guides? Is it worth it? I think getting shown the lines the first day would make it easier than trying to scout it out, but I think I'd prefer without a guide for most of the time. Or what about different freestyle schools, is it worth a bit of teaching while you're on the best learning grounds there are?

Anyway, there's a lot I'm not sure about, but mainly trying to organise some solid dates first, and worry about the rest later. Feedback would be appreciated (and yes I know theres some older similar threads, and I have read them).

Cheers,
Allen.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Best time to visit Africa 15 years 1 month ago #25096

• FLuid Tim
  • Expert Boarder
chat to Andrew Kellet of Gravity Adventures.
www.gravity.co.za
[mail address protected from spambots with javascript]

Adrian Tregoning will also give you some excellent advise, PM him with questions too.

Re:Best time to visit Africa 15 years 1 month ago #25098

• Jurgen
  • Expert Boarder
Don't be put off by all the carnage footage of the Zambezi - its way easier than it looks. My first trip on the Zambezi 15 years ago I swam every rapid (except number 9 - because I walked it) and I was sweet. If you have a roll you'll be fine. If you do swim you will end up in a nice big pool and the water is so warm anyway.
Best time should be Octoberish when the river starts getting low - but the African lads might be able tell you what the latest beta is for river levels.
Last time I went (2 years ago) I used Sven from thezambezi.com and he arranged everything. Airport pickups, accomodation, river permits, porters, river pic ups etc - all at very reasonable rates (especially if you are paying with aussie $$).

Re:Best time to visit Africa 15 years 1 month ago #25099

• AdrianTregoning
  • Thank you received: 8
Hi Allen,

I'd say that if you have a fairly decent roll then you're ready for the Zambezi and the Nile. I've never been to the Nile but have paddle the Zambezi a little. While there are difficult lines on the Zam most (not all) of the lines are such that if you line up correctly at the top, you can bomb down the rapids upside down and you'll be fine. :silly: Probably.

Between the Nile and the Zambezi, I'd say if you're more into playboating then spend more time at the Nile. On the Zam you can play on #2, but no eddy service, then you have to walk out again. Or you can put in below 10, paddle down to 12b and take out just above 14. So no real park and play. The river is in a gorge which will ensure you stay fit! Best time for the Zam is when it's low - October. Everyone says that. Once it gets higher a lot of the play features wash away, although new ones can and do form depending. Once it starts raining the river rises quickly and the danger of rockfalls are very high, so it's not that pleasant. There is an awesome little hole not far from #18... Really good fun. :woohoo:

You'll have to get a guide on the first day for a given section but then after that you don't have to, and don't need to, use a guide again. I think the Nile is the same. Best option is to paddle 14 to 25 on day 1, then 1 to above 14 on day two. The bigger rapids are the first ones, although there are some scary ones still with big, shallow holes on the second part. Also, don't forget to paddle from 25 to just above Upper Moemba. Quite a cool section with some rad rapids still, even though there is a fair amount of flat water. It just costs more as the drive back the take out is about 2.5 hours.

Sven sold thezambezi.com to a chap called Hamish McMaster. They are very expensive now. If Nico Chassings operation is still working then try them:
www.bunduadventures.com/

They are way cheaper and my mates used them in December. Although I'm told that they're operating illegally under the so called 'system' and once a whole heap of stuff gets sorted out things will be more regulated and it is said that thezambezi.com will lower their prices. Let's see.

Stay at Jolly Boys for the Zambezi, I didn't enjoy Fawlty Towers that much. The Waterfront is a very cool place to camp but you can't walk into town from there and it's always a hassle getting a taxi at a good price as they'll try and rip you off all the time. The Waterfront is very chilled, and has a bar/pool and what not on the actual river. The two backpackers are in town which is at least handy. If you're looking to party then definitely stay at Jolly Boys.

Nile levels fluctuate a lot, even from day to day. It will be luck of the draw whether you get good levels or not. The day 1 section will probably be gone by the time you get there, although I can't say for sure. :dry:

Hope that helps! Feel free to mail or PM me B) There are a couple of articles on Zambezi trip on my site, but you've probably seen them already ;)

Cheers,
Adrian :cheer:

Re:Best time to visit Africa 15 years 1 month ago #25101

• madamax
  • Grom Boarder
Well, despite malagasys feelings of not belonging to the continent, the destination is definitely an option when planning a journey to Africa.
As the past 4 years of intense activity proved it the potential out here is outrageous and we do have all kind of waters to be paddled all year round. from short runs to multi days exps and hundreds of rivers to be firsted, you should consider visiting our island.
Check my recent blog posts, and my website as well, you'll find a few images of the local conditions.
Young Guns released or are releasing their new opus African Odissey featuring long sections of their last expedition.
Check them out.

Re:Best time to visit Africa 15 years 1 month ago #25115

• scottyr
  • Guru Boarder
Hi Allen,

I've spent some time working on the Zam and try to go back every year. I wrote a long article for kayakers on my old blog; check this out:
http://linesandblunts.blogspot.com/2006/11/kayakers-guide-to-zambezi-and.html

Unfortunately Adrian is right, Sven has sold and moved on but Nico will be more than happy to help you out.

Personally, and if i were you i would think about going at the end of November or beginning of December when the water goes from low to medium - there is more play potential and the more modern, shorter boats make it more fun. Also the river is more scary than it is dangerous, its more fluffy than anything else and most things flush. However, like any river there are dangers to it and there are lines on which you can really scare yourself.
For the average boater, though, the regular lines are big and easy to stick.
You're welcome to PM me if you have other queries.

Good lines,
Scotty R

Re:Best time to visit Africa 15 years 1 month ago #25117

• scottyr
  • Guru Boarder
Nile levels fluctuate a lot, even from day to day. It will be luck of the draw whether you get good levels or not. The day 1 section will probably be gone by the time you get there, although I can't say for sure.

The dam construction has been suspended until 2010. Must be something to do with the Economic Recession and being in deepest darkest Africa, where projects are delayed all the time. Thus, Bujagali to Silveback is good to go for another year or so, sweetB)

Re:Best time to visit Africa 15 years 1 month ago #25119

• AdrianTregoning
scottyr wrote:
The dam construction has been suspended until 2010. Must be something to do with the Economic Recession and being in deepest darkest Africa, where projects are delayed all the time. Thus, Bujagali to Silveback is good to go for another year or so, sweetB)

Hectic! Didn't know that.... Thanks for the update Scotty! :cheer:

Re:Best time to visit Africa 15 years 1 month ago #25120

• wwdemon
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
AdrianTregoning wrote:
scottyr wrote:

Hectic! Didn't know that.... Thanks for the update Scotty! :cheer:

Allen,
Though you seem to have your mind set on the Zam, seriously - don't miss out on the Nile.
I've been to both and enjoy the Nile more. Just the whole set up of being on the very bank of the river all the time :)
No hassles with shuttle arrangements, porters, taxis and so on. And the play potential is just great!
Enjoy.

Dima

Re:Best time to visit Africa 15 years 1 month ago #25183

• AllenG
  • Gold Boarder
I definitely plan to hit up the Nile, but just want to plan the dates around the Zambezi. Once I know when I'm going, then you can plan the rest.

Thanks to all who've posted up some very helpful information, and to whoever it was who sent info via pm (the pm system was removed right after, but I do have a copy of it in my email :))

I didn't know that work on the Nile dam had been stopped, this is definitely good news. Can anyone direct me to a link of what has and hasn't been lost (or changed) due to the dam? I couldn't seem to find the right info on thenileprogression website.

Re:Best time to visit Africa 15 years 1 month ago #25189

• scottyr
  • Guru Boarder
This has been up on the KayakTheNile website for sometime but there have been no new developments on the dam, bar maybe there isn't as much blasting anymore, which is cool:
http://www.kayakthenile.com/Bujagali_Dam_Press_Release.pdf

As for which river is better; it is definately a matter of opinion - some say the Nile is better others say the Zam - at the end of the day its up to you to decide once you've paddled both. I prefer the Zam while my partner prefers the Nile; we constantly argue and it always ends in a stalemate.

Good lines,
Scotty R

Re:Best time to visit Africa 15 years 1 month ago #25210

• wwdemon
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
scottyr wrote:
I prefer the Zam while my partner prefers the Nile; we constantly argue and it always ends in a stalemate.

Good lines,
Scotty R

Pay attention to the profile pic - classic Nile Special!
Prefer the Zam, do u? :P

Re:Best time to visit Africa 15 years 1 month ago #25211

• scottyr
  • Guru Boarder
Hey, I didn't say I hated the Nile ;)
Just a close second (for me).

Re:Best time to visit Africa 15 years 1 month ago #25214

• AdrianTregoning
Cool profile pic Scotty. I guess I'll have to mission to the Nile soon to see for myself... :cheer: Good to see you on Playak again mate B)

Re:Best time to visit Africa 15 years 1 month ago #25222

• scottyr
  • Guru Boarder
Shot, Ades; yeah its good to be back.
Finally gonna get some time in front of a pc this year.

As for the topic, I reckon I am definately gonna hit Zam at the end of the year - second half of November and onwards... B)

Re:Best time to visit Africa 14 years 7 months ago #27376

• snug
  • Junior Boarder
I'm looking for the same info as this individual, and bam here it is...just wanted to say thanks to everybody for the good info.
Also, wondering if anybody can tell me what its like getting from nile to zam or vice versa? Is it better to head to one or the other first and then make your way around? Looking for tickets from the US.
Thanks again, paddlers rule!

Re:Best time to visit Africa 14 years 7 months ago #27420

• scottyr
  • Guru Boarder
It doesn't really matter which one you head to first. However, i would fly between Uganda and Zambia if i were you - driving (and, God forbid, bussing) down is shear hell.

Re:Best time to visit Africa 14 years 7 months ago #27556

• thezambezi.com
  • Junior Boarder
Hey Allen,

Hope you make it out to the Zambezi. We can offer you paddling logistics for $30 a day including porters, park fees, transport, lunch and a cold beer... our trips tend to be paddling trips for paddlers and you wont tag along on a raft trip which can be a pain in the ass is 12B is really going off. Let us know if you want any help in planning your trip.

Best time for the Zam, is really September, October, November, but hey its not too shabby anytime.

Cheers
Hamish

Re:Best time to visit Africa 14 years 5 months ago #28126

• scottyr
  • Guru Boarder
Hate to be the bearer of terrible news but i have just had word from Jamie (kayakthenile.com) that the dam construction is at full steam ahead.
Silverback is likely to be gone from as late as the beginning of April next year and as early January.
This really is depressing, so if you want to experience one of the biggest commercially run rapids in the world among others, time is running out fast.

I just went and gave my Fluid Nemesis a consoling hug :(

Scotty R
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.