The people of Greenland, in the sub-Arctic, are the originators of many of today’s kayak designs and gear, most notably the Greenland paddle. Kayak Academy, of Issaquah, WA, will be hosting a celebration of traditional kayaking skills during Greenland Week from Wednesday October 26th through Sunday October 30th, at Lake Sammamish State Park. The week’s events include skills training, celebration of the culture that spawned paddlesports, and competitions with prizes from Kokatat, the recognized leader in paddlesports apparel and gear. The people of Greenland, in the sub-Arctic, are the originators of many of today’s kayak designs and gear, most notably the Greenland paddle. Kayak Academy, of Issaquah, WA, will be hosting a celebration of traditional kayaking skills during Greenland Week from Wednesday October 26th through Sunday October 30th, at Lake Sammamish State Park. The week’s events include skills training, celebration of the culture that spawned paddlesports, and competitions with prizes from Kokatat, the recognized leader in paddlesports apparel and gear.
“Greenland paddling and the culture that surrounds it is amazing, and we’re proud to support Kayak Academy and their celebration of this unique segment of our sport,” said Jeff Turner, Kokatat sales and marketing manager.
Throughout the week featured expert Greenland paddlers including Maligiaq Padilla of Greenland, Helen Wilson, and Dubside will provide instruction and demonstrations of Greenland kayaking techniques. Over the weekend a number of competitions will take place including racing, rolling, ropes and harpoon throwing. The overall winner of the competition will win a Kokatat GORE-TEX® dry suit.
The Greenland-style paddle is easily recognizable by its long stick-like design. The paddles feature long narrow blades at each end, where modern conventional paddles have shorter spoon shaped blades. While Greenland paddles, which generally measure around seven feet in length, generally do not provide as powerful a stroke as a modern paddle, their shape tends to reduce stress on the joints on longer journeys.
To learn more about Greenland Week including registration and a complete list of events visit www.kayakacademy.com.
About Kokatat Watersports Wear:
Celebrating 40 years of innovation, Kokatat is an independently operated, US manufacturer of technical apparel and accessories for water sports. Handcrafted in Arcata, California, Kokatat employees are focused on building the finest functional product for people who work and play on water. Our gear is designed for paddlers, by paddlers, ensuring a safe and enjoyable experience on the water all year long and in all weather conditions. Into the water with Kokatat! Please visit www.kokatat.com and follow Kokatat on Facebook and Twitter [email protected]
Login / Connect
Like us on Facebook
- Guatemala's Oxec hydro project: July update » Hello river friends, I wanted to share some positive developments in the fight against the Oxec d... (Central and South America)
- Cracked Outfitting in Fluid Solo L » Hey guys, this is my first post in this forum so redirect me if this is the wrong place for this pos... (Whitewater)
- Whitewater Carnage: Ocoee River Carnage 2016 E5 - Rookie Guides Gone Wild » https://youtu.be/--MgkoeQQs8 Whitewater Carnage: Ocoee River Carnage 2016 E5 - Rookie Guides Gone... (Whitewater)
- Naish puts hydrofoil SUP on the market » SUPkayak2016-05-21at09.34.40.jpg In the SUPzero Buyers Guide: http://supzero.com/buyers-guide/bo... (Surf SUP)
- Fatyak Samos SUP » Fatyak from the UK mostly makes Sit On Tops, but are planning to introduce a plastic SUP as well. Lo...
- Vacuum/inflatable SUP » Hope these are as good as they sound! This tech would put inflatables on par with hardboards....
- WTB Jackson Funrunner 60 » Looking for a Funrunner 60. We live in Delaware but are coming to Week of Rivers. Thanks.... (FS - North America - US)
- Dagger Jitsu 6.0 Like Brand New for trade » I have a Dagger Jitsu 6.0 in green that id like to trade of a fishing kayak. Used once, way too adv... (FS - North America - US)
- Re: Wanted- Portland Oregon- Creek Boat » opinions and ideas welcome people.... (FS - North America - Canada)
[please login to make this ad block disappear]
Kokatat Sponsors Greenland Week
900 0 1 0 0
October 20, 2011
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.