support unicef Support American Whitewater!

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: Big Air ramp

Big Air ramp 18 years 2 months ago #4356

• Sojourner
  • Grom Boarder
Anyone have any info on building a big air ramp? I've got years of skateboarding ramp experience, but no water ramp experience. A group of us local paddlers want to build a kayak "big air" style ramp, and I looking for any info I can find.

Schematics, dimmensions, materials, and even water depth would be helpful.

Thanks,
-Sojo
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Big Air ramp 18 years 2 months ago #4358

• Kayaker0678
  • Guru Boarder
Hey its me from the cincypaddlers "xander" nice to see another midwest paddler here.

Big Air ramp 18 years 2 months ago #4359

• Kayaker0678
  • Guru Boarder
www.heckler.com/ramps/launchhi.html Here is a skateboard launch ramp. Oh and i forgot to tell you that you will want to check this site about every 3 hours cause it is that active that if you dont then you will miss out on a bunch of stuff on the forum

Big Air ramp 18 years 2 months ago #4363

• Sojourner
  • Grom Boarder
I've built launches, halves and quarters (pipes), fun boxes, etc. I don't think is going to be as easy as up scaling a skateboard plan. For one thing the transition should be way different given the size difference between a 32" board and an 84" yak (EX: my SuperFun is 7').

Europe seems to have a number of "Big Air" competitions, so there is likely to be some "standard" when it comes to ramp dimensions. How high is the ramp edge from the water's surface? How far does the ramp extend into the water from shore? How much run-up to the ramp, and what is the angle? I'm also interested in seeing how much water (depth) there needs to be to land in ( :dance: )

Finally- this damn thing needs to be "portable". I use the term loosely, b ut since we don't own the land, chances are that the ramp has to be able to removed from the water's edge. Now are we talking three pick-up trucks and a crane, or can we design it to be eaiser/lighter? I'll tell you right now that a simple 4' launch weighs over 35 pounds. The "Big Air" comps I'm seeing have ramps *MUCH* higher than that.

I guess this poses the immediate question: are we looking to build a competition sized ramp, or just something to merely fling ourselves off of? If we decide on the latter, then it should be cake to build. If we're talking competition-like platform that we can practice on, then that's going to require a bit more thought. Not that it can't be done, FFS, I'm ready to rock whatever we build. Just want to minimize the waste and mistakes. :skull:

Sojo
'Dark warnings fill the air
Some conform, others spread the,
PARADE OF THE HORRIBLES!'
Circle Jerks - "Parade of the Horribles"

Big Air ramp 18 years 2 months ago #4364

• Kayaker0678
  • Guru Boarder
yea we can probably do that. We also could bring it to PaddleFest and have some real fun with it.

Big Air ramp 18 years 2 months ago #4378

• texasfish
  • Guru Boarder
ask the same question on this site

www.arkansascanoeclub.com/mb/

but first you must become a user

Big Air ramp 18 years 2 months ago #4400

• VAPaddler1324
  • Gold Boarder
have yall seen the video of dane on jackson kayak on that one ramp, i think the title of the video is tobi flies

Big Air ramp 18 years 2 months ago #4406

• texasfish
  • Guru Boarder
i have that is a great clip
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.