Support American Whitewater! support unicef

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: just getting started

just getting started 10 years 9 months ago #33082

• joshdajoker
  • Grom Boarder
So I recently have purchased a used jefe and everything i need to start learning how to hit the whitewater. But I feel as though I might have been given a paddle to long by my local outfitter. I'm 5'6 1/2" and the outfitter looked me over and said that i needed a 200 cm Werner rio, but recently looking at the their site and putting in my info it says 194cm. If I do have a paddle to long what is the downfall going to be?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: just getting started 10 years 9 months ago #33086

• tao
  • Grom Boarder
A paddle that is too long will generally get in the way, trip you up and possibly overload you. (law of the lever an all that) I am 6'2" and I use a 200cm paddle, And that would be considered long even for me. I have long limbs and good form, so I can get away with it. You on the other hand might want to go for a much shorter paddle. yes, 194-196max. You might find someone in your local area to do a trade with, or the paddle you bought might be returnable depending on store policy/regional legislation. Also, the Rio is Junk. it will be worth your while spending a little more on something a little more mid-range. I know money is probably tight (I so know that feeling) But you need to be able to rely on your paddle. you don't need a big expensive name brand paddle, just something with strong solid build.
I hope this helps you out.

Re: just getting started 10 years 9 months ago #33088

• bartw
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 9
As you say: according to Werner paddles these are te optimum sizes:

As Tao says it seems too big for you.
Isn't there a possibility for changing it at your local outfitter? He advised you wrong, so ...
And maybe, like TAO says, you want to spent some more money to a paddle, your outfitter will take it back easier ... when you buy the better paddle there. It worth a try!
But look out for his advise and take notice of scheme from Werner or other manufactures.

Re: just getting started 10 years 9 months ago #33098

• bartw
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 9

Re: just getting started 10 years 8 months ago #33116

• inbetweenswims
  • Pro Boarder
Quality comments here. I'd also add that, as a beginner and with a Jefe, you might err on the side of a slightly longer paddle.

Also, you might consider the blade a bit. Bigger blade can equal more catch but also equal more torque on the shoulders. If possible, demo. Many outfitters have a rental fleet - see if they'll let you try a few paddles to see what the proper size will be.

And while the Werner Rio may not be the lightest, most effecient paddle - my experience is that most beginners usually beat the hell out of their first paddle. You don't have to buy the heavy beginner paddle but dropping several hundred on the latest carbon paddle probably isn't the most cost effecient decision either....
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.