support unicef support unicef

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: Drysuit layering?

Drysuit layering? 12 years 3 months ago #32153

• nanook
  • Grom Boarder
Hi, new to the forum and just getting back into whitewater this season and just got my hands on a full drysuit; wondering what people wear under them in different temps? I was thinking 100 weight tights and top+a 200 weight vest.

Also wondering about hand/headwear in cold and coldish water, just got a pair of the holy mitts at mec and they look sweet for early spring!

For my feet, thinking its wool socks, drysuit socks, neoprene socks, sneakers, ect
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Drysuit layering? 12 years 3 months ago #32164

• cousinsa
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Personally, if I'm at my club I won't bother changing :grin:

But for trips and suchlike, I'd wear some warm trousers/leggings and something equivalent to a thin-ish jumper.

You can buy one-piece thermal 'baby-grows' for drysuits (look on the typhoon website), but I've heard many reports that these get far too hot, so they may be a last resort for the very cold trips. As a side note, I haven't seen one with a fly yet, so any relief zip you have would be rendered useless!

With regards to head/hand-wear, I've never used a skullcap, but can speak for pogies, they're great for keeping the hands warm. I've found that gloves have only kept my hands cold so far (and thats from someone who doesn't normally bother with gloves or pogies)

For your feet, I'd recommend either wooly or neoprene socks. Wear too much, though, and your shoes won't fit :grin:
The following user(s) said Thank You: nanook

Re: Drysuit layering? 12 years 2 months ago #32179

• neilnt
  • Gold Boarder
Well if it's warm, then "not too much" is the quick answer.

If it's colder then it depends on whether i'm going to be very active or not, going to be out all day or if i'll be able to stop and add a layer.

Generally I use a one piece fleece suit from IR which has a fly (Palm also make one). Then if it is colder I'll add a thick fleece on top for kayaking and add fleece leggings as well if I'm running a rescue course with lots of swimming.

If it's cold enough to need poggies then I tend not to go boating (skiing and Ice climbing are good alternative activites) and I find they get in the way for anything grade 4 or harder. Great for sea kayaking, if your into that. Gloves are even worse than poggies for kayaking in my view. Although some people do use thin thermal gloves under yellow rubber washing up gloves (these go under the wrist seals).

In cold weather I also use a warm helmet, the Sweet Rocker. It keeps your head warm even without a hat.

On the feet I use thin socks in the suit when it's warm and then socks under and wetsuit booties over when it's really cold.

Hope this helps you getting your layers sorted out.

Neil Newton Taylor
www.swiftwaterrescue.at
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.