Support American Whitewater! support unicef

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: just a thought

just a thought 15 years 5 months ago #24009

• Laddie
  • Guru Boarder
I see on other fourms there are "sticky" threads that are at the top... kind of "new posters read this"

What do you think about posting something perminant about " Im looking for a first kayak"... I dont want to be misinterpreted here. I am all about seeing new posters to the board and dont want to discourage people from posting... Especially here (playak is a friendly forum site). I am also very excited to see people getting into the sport. Simply put I am growing weary of posting the same info about kayak options time and time again. I am shying away from answering them as I have written the same stuff over and over again and a simple search would answer most of these questions. Perhaps it is just me being lazy :p

I would be willing to post my recommendations and write up a longer post giving pros and cons for each type of boat. maybe get into hulls and benefits of each type. just something more specific to the common "first kayak" questions

What do you think?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:just a thought 15 years 5 months ago #24012

• terryblissstick
Just a thought. I would tend to agree except for the fact that it is hard for anyone in the sport to agree on anything to do with anything concerning a newbie. People in paddlesports seem to have a more rabid love for their brand of gear, style, discipline etc.... than most sports. As newbies we all have to find our own way. We have all wasted lots of time and money along the way but in the end we all find our gear and mentiors.

Also my friends and I sometimes get a good laugh (and sometimes pisses) at what "The EXPERT" sometimes comes up with. "If you read it on the back of a cereal box it must be true so spread the word!"

Really though it is good for a newbie to be responded to in a personal way, even in the info is questionable.

Some kind of attention is better than none at all.....hehehe

Re:just a thought 15 years 5 months ago #24015

• cjcc
  • Guru Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Laddie wrote:
I see on other fourms there are "sticky" threads that are at the top... kind of "new posters read this"

What do you think about posting something perminant about " Im looking for a first kayak"... I dont want to be misinterpreted here. I am all about seeing new posters to the board and dont want to discourage people from posting... Especially here (playak is a friendly forum site). I am also very excited to see people getting into the sport. Simply put I am growing weary of posting the same info about kayak options time and time again. I am shying away from answering them as I have written the same stuff over and over again and a simple search would answer most of these questions. Perhaps it is just me being lazy :p

I would be willing to post my recommendations and write up a longer post giving pros and cons for each type of boat. maybe get into hulls and benefits of each type. just something more specific to the common "first kayak" questions

What do you think?

Have you considered making a Playak article on this, similar to Adrian Tregoning's on his blog? This is the most logical way, and whenever you see a new post, you can post the URL on the thread. However, many people buy boats based on availability, price, etc.
so there can be more factors than "I want a creeker".

Re:just a thought 15 years 5 months ago #24016

• Laddie
  • Guru Boarder
That is a good idea...

Had not considered that at all, thanks

Re:just a thought 15 years 5 months ago #24031

• skirnir
  • Gold Boarder
This is a hard subject to have set in stone, so to speak.

In my oppinion the best boat for a beginner to buy is the one I'm selling at that given time ;)

Re:just a thought 15 years 4 months ago #24168

• Laddie
  • Guru Boarder
I submitted an article over a week ago...

was it approved or not?

Jeroen? Adrian? Anybody?

Re:just a thought 15 years 4 months ago #24169

• Jeroen
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 8
sorry, took me a while to decide how to best publish it, but here it is now:

playak.com/blog.php?beid=319
If you're happy, you're successful.

Re:just a thought 15 years 4 months ago #24170

• cjcc
  • Guru Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
From the start, this looks a lot like Adrian's article: adrian.playak.com/index.php?option=com_c...=view&id=93&Itemid=5 . You might want to include different brands of boats/models, since that is what normally in your posts (e.g. for river runner/creeker Fluid Solo, Bliss-Stick Mystic, Pyranha Burn, etc.).
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.