Support American Whitewater! Support American Whitewater!

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: Pyranha i3 - 221, 222 or 223?

Pyranha i3 - 221, 222 or 223? 13 years 10 months ago #29821

• thetern
  • Grom Boarder
I am looking to get a Pyranha i3, i tried my friends out the other day which was a 223, and i loved the boat, and want to get one to get back into kayaking and ease myself back into trying a bit of surfing and building my confidence up in river play.

I am 5'10, and weigh about 180lbs, though i have put on weight after a shoulder injury i sustained a few months back, and will be back to my usual 170lbs within a couple of months.

What i was wondering is whether i should be aiming to get hold of a 221,222 or 223?

I have been offered a 221 in pretty good nick for £230, but obviously don't want to buy it if in the long run i would be better off looking for one of the 222's or 223's.

Thanks for your help

James
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Pyranha i3 - 221,222 or 223??? 13 years 10 months ago #29825

• AdrianTregoning
  • Thank you received: 8
I have never paddled any of the i3's. But if I was your size, I'd go for the 222. Why the i3 though? Unless cash is a real problem, I'd consider something a bit more modern.

Hope your shoulder heals up 100% soon! I know how you feel. :)

Re:Pyranha i3 - 221,222 or 223??? 13 years 10 months ago #29833

• thetern
  • Grom Boarder
To be honest, money is a deciding factor at the moment, i have a lot of other commitments, and this is really just a way of getting myself eased back in to things.

What more recent boats would you recommend?

James

Re:Pyranha i3 - 221,222 or 223??? 13 years 10 months ago #29839

• AdrianTregoning
  • Thank you received: 8
For sure, I fully understand that! Shew, I don't know. There would be quite a few. It depends on whats available to you on the second hand market... Also depends if you want a full on playboat, or perhaps something a bit longer but still with a flat hull, and fairly compressed ends.

As I said, I've never paddled the i3, but heard from two people here that it was a good boat. Who knows? I certainly don't :) I'm sure someone else here on Playak could tell you more about that boat.

A second hand medium Spice could work for you, or even WaveSports BigEZ is also an excellent boat and a bit more playful than the Spice in my opinion. I've had my Spice for over 2 years and paddled a BigEZ for around a year and a half I think. The Spice is really a great river runner for sure.

Re:Pyranha i3 - 221,222 or 223??? 13 years 10 months ago #29840

• thetern
  • Grom Boarder
Well i have been offered an i3 223 in really good condition for £250, a 5 year old Pyranha 26 200 for £200 and a pyranha s8 225 for £180.

I love the looks of the pyranhas, and when i paddled the i3, it was really comfy.

These are perfect for my budget, which would people recommend as the best deal?

I plan to do a little bit of flat water kayaking on some local canals, as well as taking it down to cornwall to hit the surf, and maybe start rivver running.

I am a sea kayaker and k1 boater by heart, so complete newbie in this area, all advice welcome.

James

Re:Pyranha i3 - 221, 222 or 223? 13 years 10 months ago #29858

• Funnyman
  • Pro Boarder
I agree, tbh the i3 is old and there are much more advanced boats on the market now, even if you are looking to go cheaper. Dagger make boats that are good performers in whatever conditions. Try looking at other brands and even go to your local shop and ask to demo different boats. Dont buy something and then you decide you dont really want to do that kind of kayaking or you dont like that boat, wait and look around first

good luck
Kyle
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.