Support American Whitewater! Support American Whitewater!

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: Assault on the river Crake, Coniston

Assault on the river Crake, Coniston 19 years 2 months ago #131

• duncant
  • Grom Boarder
Unfortunately sounds all too familiar in the UK that the fishermen think they own the river. Sadly, some areas are worse than others, eg River Kent, River Sprint and the River Tawe in South Wales. To date I have yet to hear of the police actually charging somebody with criminal damage or assault.

Stu, why don't you post this article on the UK guidebook site (www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/), they have been collecting evidence of these cases in hope of bringing about some changes?

D
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Assault on the river Crake, Coniston 19 years 1 month ago #242

• seanieb
  • Junior Boarder
Keep on this issue follow it up make sure that the guys get done for assaulting you on the river, endangering your lives ( by turning you over and taking your paddles)and for impersonating a police officer.

I don’t think you get them for what happened to your van :(

But that should hinder you from nailing them on the other thing focus on what you can get them for.

Best of luck
Sean
:grin:

Assault on the river Crake, Coniston 19 years 3 weeks ago #389

• Foleyartist
  • Grom Boarder
As grown up responsible paddlers we need to make sure that we abide by access agreements(no matter how odious/unfair/ridiculous we deem them to be)If we ignore them we leave ourselves open to abuse and the wrath of fishermen and landowners alike.
Personally I 'd prefer it if we could all paddle whenever and wherever we liked but it aint the way it is...at the moment.If challenged we need to remain calm and polite or we'll just blow it for everyone.Having said that people can't go around grabbing other peoples kayaks so they can have a few words with the occupants.
Lets hope relations haven't been damaged too badly because of this incident.MORE PEACE! MORE LOVE! MORE CHOCOLATE CAKE!...NOW!

Assault on the river Crake, Coniston 19 years 1 week ago #464

• neilfarmer
  • Grom Boarder
[quote:da3fe2baaa="Foleyartist"]
As grown up responsible paddlers we need to make sure that we abide by access agreements([b:da3fe2baaa]no matter how odious/unfair/ridiculous we deem them to be[/b:da3fe2baaa])If we ignore them we leave ourselves open to abuse and the wrath of fishermen and landowners alike.

If challenged we need to remain calm and polite or we'll just blow it for everyone.
[/quote:da3fe2baaa]

I think that the first part of that (in bold) is rubbish. If there were fair access agreements in place on English/Welsh rivers, then fair enough, until then, I see no reason to recognise them at all. It just maintains the status quo that the landowners/fishermen (most not all) want to maintain, maintaining the feudal atmosphere that pervades the UK!

As for the second part, couldn't agree more.

For interest, the origional thread on http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk has a response from the fishermen in question, an interesting read and all parties wanted the matter closed. I for one, am glad that he responded.

Assault on the river Crake, Coniston 19 years 1 week ago #465

• Jeroen
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 8
[quote:6c6a7ba95f="neilfarmer"]
For interest, the origional thread on http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk has a response from the fishermen in question, an interesting read and all parties wanted the matter closed. I for one, am glad that he responded.[/quote:6c6a7ba95f]
Just wondering what makes that thead more 'original' than this one. The fact that it was posted 4 minutes earlier :?:

Btw if you scroll up on this page a little, you'll see that the fisherman in question posted his response here as well.

:grin:
If you're happy, you're successful.

Assault on the river Crake, Coniston 18 years 11 months ago #509

• neilfarmer
  • Grom Boarder
2 good points there!
Points go to Jeroen on this bit!
Still, let us all be positive on UK rivers, there are some cracking runs here!
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.