Support American Whitewater! Support American Whitewater!

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: Surf Kayak, how to bottom turn?

Surf Kayak, how to bottom turn? 15 years 8 months ago #22594

• AlexFictionFriction
  • Junior Boarder
I do quite a bit of surfing and am finding the amount of moves i can do limited. I can ride the line of the face no problem, bongo slide and perform slashes and 360's at the crest of the wave and at the bottom, on waves up to 6ft. I find 3 to 5 ft waves are easiest to experiment on.B) However i have tried and failed many times to bottom turn, i find myself running the line of the wave and hitting the white stuff when it breaks, if i could bottom turn i could avoid this.

I studied videos on the internet and can see how they do it but need a more detailed impression of how to bottom turn.:(

I paddle a Perception Madness as i find it has sharp edges for surfing.

I find it difficult to get the edges right on the plane and am not sure what approach to take to it. Is it simply a case of edging it and resting the padle on the face for support or is it a low brace turn or dragging the paddle in the face for rotation? :blink: does anyone know how? Please

:)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Surf Kayak, how to bottom turn? 15 years 8 months ago #22599

• AdrianTregoning
  • Thank you received: 8
Check out this thread:

www.soaked.co.za/viewtopic.php?t=247

Hopefully the link helps a little.

By looking at the boat, I would imagine that it is reasonably fast, but not as fast as a proper surf kayak. Do you feel like it just hangs at the bottom of the wave? It could be that the boat just isn't fast enough to actually really bottom turn. If you're at the top of the weight range of the boat, the problem would be worse.

Make sure you angle your boat a little on take off instead of heading straight down and then bottom turning. But if you're boat is too slow, you really won't be doing any bottoms turns. Have you tried a surf kayak? The difference is huge. B) Good luck! :)

Re:Surf Kayak, how to bottom turn? 15 years 8 months ago #22603

• AlexFictionFriction
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks, yer that might be the problem, it does move quite fast. However i've not used a proper surf kayak before and they are rate expensive to buy. Thanks for the help il try changing my angle of take off a bit more

Re:Surf Kayak, how to bottom turn? 15 years 8 months ago #22604

• AlexFictionFriction
  • Junior Boarder
ah by the way, that website guide is really usefull

Re:Surf Kayak, how to bottom turn? 15 years 8 months ago #22607

• cjcc
  • Guru Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Have you looked at the Fluid Element or the Riot Boogie 50? Also, if you are handy with tools, you could make your own kayak. here is a link to chesapeake light craft's surf kayak: www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/kayaks/surfing/CLC-MATUNUCK.html . Your last option could be a SOT like a Wilderness systems Kaos: www.wildernesssystems.com/kaos .

Re:Surf Kayak, how to bottom turn? 15 years 8 months ago #22617

• AlexFictionFriction
  • Junior Boarder
ah yer, cheers for that, shame it's in the USA though. I think i'l manage with what ive got and ride the bigger more powerfull breaks for better take off speed. The Wilderness is a sit on top though.

Re:Surf Kayak, how to bottom turn? 15 years 8 months ago #22630

• weirdoinventor
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Your last option could be a SOT like a Wilderness systems Kaos: www.wildernesssystems.com/kaos .
The Wilderness is a sit on top though.

Guess what SOT stands for. ;)

Re:Surf Kayak, how to bottom turn? 15 years 8 months ago #22637

• AlexFictionFriction
  • Junior Boarder
"Sit On Top" no shit :)

Re:Surf Kayak, how to bottom turn? 15 years 7 months ago #22795

• Urge
  • Guru Boarder
If your after a wave ski you would be better off looking at either the Big Stick from Islander, or something more advanced but under the £500 mark (just) Atlantic Composites Cruiser over the Kaos, as they are more up to date and perform better.

On the bottom turn it sounds like you are stalling in the turn or not carrying enough speed in.

You need to keep the edge engaged throughout the turn keep your weight over the rail using your paddle if needed, as a brace in the wave look at the books from Matos or Hamond both good reads. It is very hard to comment on what you are doing without seeing you paddle.

Re:Surf Kayak, how to bottom turn? 15 years 6 months ago #23510

• matiasrafael
  • Junior Boarder
Hi there i have surfed waves on kayak since i was 12 (now im 24 he, quite old :( ) I was surfing on a Dagger Ego but recently acquired a Dragorossi Fish, and reggarding to the bottom turn, and find eisier on the Ego, just can't explain why. I think it's because I fit better in it. Still, what matter the most in that move is to keep the kayak and body in and opposite line from the foam and heading into the green water.
Of course, the more speed you have, the better chance of succeding.
Do not give up, make sure you fit the kayak right and if possible, ask someone to watch your technique or videotape yourself.

hope that helps you

MRL
Time to create page: 0.643 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.