Support American Whitewater! Support American Whitewater!

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: Kayaking Switzerland Early April

Kayaking Switzerland Early April 15 years 2 months ago #25110

• McClure
  • Grom Boarder
I am trying to decide to book my ticket for Switzerland in early April. I know that levels will be unpredictable due to weather, but on average is it worth it to go through with the trip? or is early April too early for guaranteed good paddling?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Kayaking Switzerland Early April 15 years 1 month ago #25149

• Croft
  • Gold Boarder
I would say yes too early - certainly in the high Alps (Upper Inn, Upper-Rhone, Upper-Rhine) early April is just too early. In the Ticino area you should be able to paddle, also in the Jura. When the melt starts-up it is going to be mighty as many areas have record snow. You would certainly find water to paddle but probably not a lot of the best stuff. In April a lot of Swiss paddlers migrate south - to Corsica, S. France, Slovenia, Greece etc.

May-June is probably a safer bet but it really depends what you want to do - rainfall/snowmelt creeking or the glacier-fed classics.

Having said all that maybe the unpredictable weather will prove me wrong this year!

Re:Kayaking Switzerland Early April 15 years 1 month ago #25152

• McClure
  • Grom Boarder
Thanks for your reply. I have decided to go ahead with the trip, my friends in Geneva have said much the same. The purpose of the trip is not solely paddling it just an added bonus I will hope for good warm weather. I was actually hoping to paddle in the Jura area I would love to be able to paddle some high Alp stuff but it will have to wait until I can visit a little later in the summer. We are planning on visiting Turkey as well does anyone know of any areas that are nicer than others there?

Re:Kayaking Switzerland Early April 15 years 1 month ago #25158

• Croft
  • Gold Boarder
You'll have a great time with Matthias and Elizabeth - they know that area like the backs of their hands and sure they'll find you some excellent boating. Enjoy. Its a small world.

I have just paddled the Coruh in Turkey which is an excellent (if a bit smelly) world classic multiday (6 day) trip. Most of the creek boating goes on the Black Sea coast and the S. Med. coast. Dave Manby is your man for Turkey, see:

http://www.davemanby.com/Home.aspx

He is organising a big rafting comp on the Coruh in July.
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.