Support American Whitewater! Support American Whitewater!

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: USA, CA: Touring: Mammoth Lakes

USA, CA: Touring: Mammoth Lakes 16 years 9 months ago #16082

• Jeroen
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 8
Playak Spot Discussion: : [url=article.php?sid=1268]USA, CA: Touring: Mammoth Lakes[/url]
California Touring Tip: Mammoth Lakes.
If you're happy, you're successful.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

USA, CA: Touring: Mammoth Lakes 16 years 9 months ago #31049

• pipeliner542
  • Grom Boarder
This place looks awsome. My wife and I were just talking about a trip out to mammoth lake and your pics sealed it up.we cant wait to come out and paddle a couple of these lakes can anyone recommend a reasonably priced place to stay around the lakes.

Re:USA, CA: Touring: Mammoth Lakes 16 years 9 months ago #16095

• cominco
  • Expert Boarder
I was wondering if this area would fall within the Pacific Crest Trail route or the route of the Continental Devide trail. Looks like a very nice place to spend time and perhaps one day I'll get there. Summer in the NWT is usually very nice and the paddling on Great Slave Lake excellent so I hate to leave till fall. Greg

Re:USA, CA: Touring: Mammoth Lakes 16 years 9 months ago #16098

• skygreen
  • Junior Boarder
I camp at the Lake Mary campground. Camping is on a first-come first-served basis, so you'll want to arrive mid-week in the summertime in order to secure a camping spot.

Due to the draught we had this past winter, everything is pretty dry, and the lake's water level is low. I personally would wait until next year to come out.

At Mammoth Lake you also need to keep in mind that snow pack doesn't melt off at the same time every year. Last year we had so much rain, the campground and lakes, didn't open until the second week of July, whereas this year it melted in the early part of June.

To play it safe, I would plan your trip right after the 4th of July. You don't want to wait until August, becasue of the tropical thunder and lightning storms that frequently occur in the vicinity.

While you're in the area be sure to hit the string of lakes all along I-395
starting with Rock Creek, Convict Lake, Mammoth Lake, June Lake Loop: June Lake, Gull Lake, Silver Lake, and Grant Lake, then go to Lundy Lake, Virginia Lake, and finish up with Twin Lakes, in Bridgeport.

The lakes are small, so you can easily paddle them all in a week.

if you have any more questions email me at: [mail address protected from spambots with javascript]

The Mammoth Lake Visitor's Bureau www.visitmammoth.com/ will be able to assist you if you want to find a hotel or rent a condo.

Sky
Gone Paddling

Re:USA, CA: Touring: Mammoth Lakes 16 years 9 months ago #16099

• skygreen
  • Junior Boarder
It is on the Pacific Crest Trail route.

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0...l_route_overview.png

Mammoth Lakes is located between number 29 and number 27 on the map on the link above.

That would be one LONG and difficult walk, especially in the high elevation around Mammoth Lakes and all of the lakes located along I-395.

The fall might be a good time to go when the leaves change colors, but the weather can be unstable after 9-1. It's possible to encounter a snow storm.

sky
Gone Paddling

Touring: Mammoth Lakes 11 years 4 months ago #32802

• skygreen
  • Junior Boarder
The mammoth lakes are also featured on PaddlingCalifornia.com www.paddlingcalifornia.com/Lake_Mamie.html
Gone Paddling
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.