support unicef Support American Whitewater!

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: What boat do you paddle?

What boat do you paddle? 15 years 3 months ago #24401

• creepy
  • Junior Boarder
I'm looking for kayak in the next few months and I just want an idea of what's out there (you can include a review if you want). If you don't mind including your height and weight, that would be really helpful. I sit really low in a lot of boats and being only 5'4, I have a short torso and arms. Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:What boat do you paddle? 15 years 3 months ago #24402

• cjcc
  • Guru Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
You may want to look at the Fluid Spice S, Jackson Punk Rocker, Pyranha Ammo S, or the Jackson Little Hero. What kind of boat do you want (playboat, creekboat, river running)?

Re:What boat do you paddle? 15 years 3 months ago #24404

• creepy
  • Junior Boarder
I'm mainly looking for a playboat/river runner. I can squeeze myself into anything and decided I want to avoid the Jackson line.

Re:What boat do you paddle? 15 years 3 months ago #24407

• AdrianTregoning
  • Thank you received: 8
I know you may not want to say, but how heavy are you? That would help quite a bit :cheer:

Re:What boat do you paddle? 15 years 3 months ago #24411

• creepy
  • Junior Boarder
165lb. I'm over the weight limit for the small boats and too light for the next size up.

Re:What boat do you paddle? 15 years 3 months ago #24412

• AdrianTregoning
  • Thank you received: 8
I see you are in Canada. Would you say that most of the rivers around you are big volume type rivers? Or not really?

Do you have any white water paddling experience?

Re:What boat do you paddle? 15 years 3 months ago #24511

• thorn91
  • Junior Boarder
You might look at the Liquid Logic Remix 59 or Dagger Mamba 7.5.

Re:What boat do you paddle? 15 years 2 months ago #24787

• Ruth
  • Grom Boarder
You might want to look at the jefe chicco, or maybe a cr80 or cr125 or the new biscuit. I like the liquid logic outfitting and style, they seem to be low on the hips and easy to manage with a short body (I am short bodied, well actually I'm just short!)

Re:What boat do you paddle? 15 years 2 months ago #24791

• terryblissstick
My other 1/2 thinks you should demo a Mini Mystic. Very adjustable to your hight and weight.

Re:What boat do you paddle? 15 years 2 months ago #25106

• WakaWai
terryblissstick wrote:
...You should demo a Mini Mystic. Very adjustable to your hight and weight.

:yes:

Re:What boat do you paddle? 15 years 2 months ago #25107

• cjcc
  • Guru Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Not to start up an argument similar to the Mega Maverick vs. Riot Boogie topic or the SCUD vs. RAD 195, but "creepy" wants a playboat/river runner, according to a previous post. What about the Fluid Flirt M or the WS Project 52? Not sure about the river running ability on the P52, but the Flirt is supposedly a good river runner. Also, the Super RAD 180 might be good, but I am not sure on the weight range of the Bliss-Stick boats. You could probably also look for a WS EZG or a Bliss-Stick Flip-Stick.

Re:What boat do you paddle? 15 years 1 month ago #25203

• lilmisshappy
  • Junior Boarder
Im just under 5 foot and weigh 119 pounds. I have both a jefe chico and a mamba 7.5. I find the mamba is better suited to my size than the chico, find the chico fittings are bit bigger, So I would encourage you to have a look at the chico...as ur a bit bigger than me you may it perfect.

The mini mystic may be an option but I find the mystic boats very heavy, and although this may mean they are more durable im small and want the lightest boat possible as portaging can be tough enough!

I would def reccommend a creeker/river runner rather than a playboat/river runner. I think if your starting out you will benefit more from a more stable creeker than from a river runner with edges.. and if you want to start doing tricks etc. get urself a playboat later down the line. I personally dont see the benefits of a river running playboat...im too small to throw any tricks in it and on rivers it would just me more tippy.

Just my opinion.
Good luck
fran

Re:What boat do you paddle? 15 years 1 week ago #25867

• constantrequiem
  • Grom Boarder
Specs: 5'6, 115lb, not very muscly at all. I prefer downriver stuff, not much for playing.

Right now, I'm without a kayak. :(

But in the past I've paddled a few boats. Most of them are from a few years back so you'd have to buy them used.

Dagger Mamba - its a big boat and I found it hard to maneuver. Its the boat I began in, easy enough to roll, but more importantly it was very very stable. Great for creeking. Personally I'd rather not get in it again, it swallowed me.

Wavesport X - Fantastic boat, I paddled it in Costa Rica on mostly big pushy water and some general river. Easy to manuever, kept me upright. I was only in it for a week but it was nice.

Dagger Ultrafuge? or Centrifuge I forget which - Its a nice little play boat. I had to squeeze in it though, not much leg room. Its paper-thin so easier for me to do tricks in despite my size. But i'm not much of a player. Also its fun to take down river, very sleek.

Dagger GT - by far my favorite boat. I'm looking to buy one now (7.6 if you have it!!!) The one I used was a 7.8, but I could still handle it (just a bit too big for me to play in). The handling is great, I love the outfiting, pretty fast, easy peasy to roll, and a GREAT all-rounder. the X and the GT are very similar. the GT was a bit more bouyant and perhaps a bit clunkier, but again I attribute that to my size. The GT comes in small, medium, and large so mix and match. Although they are kind of hard to find these days.

Also I'm looking at a Liquid Logic Trigger right now. I've never paddled one but it seems similar to the GT and X. The description of the boat said it was made for people under 150lb.

Good luck!

Re:What boat do you paddle? 15 years 1 week ago #25868

• thorn91
  • Junior Boarder
If you are in NorCal, I have a Trigger that you could try out. It was highly recommended to me as a river runner, but I just can't seem to make it fit (I am 5' 4" and seem to have short legs).

When are the boat manufacturers going to start making boats that fit us petite women? Specifically river runners. We are too big for kids boats and most small boats are too big for us.

Cate
www.liquidfusionkayak.com

Re:What boat do you paddle? 15 years 1 day ago #25931

• dangerranger
  • Grom Boarder
There are always lots of different opinions on boats. Have you found one yet? I'm 5'6 about 155lbs and paddle a Wavesport ZG, it's fun for playboating, and river running, but isn't very forgiving. If you're new to paddling you might want to check out the Wavesport EZG, they are a little more forgiving and better for the river running playboating mix.

Re:What boat do you paddle? 14 years 11 months ago #26179

• Tonz
  • Grom Boarder
Super RADs are pretty cool, thats the kayak I first learned to paddle grade four in so they are good as a river runner, they're a pretty classic playboat too :)

Re:What boat do you paddle? 14 years 11 months ago #26181

• john_bond8
  • Junior Boarder
Why did you throw out the Jackson line? The outfitting is possibly the best in the world and you could grab a Classic Fun with linear plastic pretty cheap brand new, or you could go the new route with the crosslinked plastic and awesome outfitting. You'd fit well in a Fun and have a boat for playing and a river runner as well. EJ knows what he's doing. Whatever you get, get out there and demo some boats first.

Re:What boat do you paddle? 14 years 11 months ago #26201

• muirs
  • Pro Boarder
constantrequiem wrote:
Also I'm looking at a Liquid Logic Trigger right now. I've never paddled one but it seems similar to the GT and X. The description of the boat said it was made for people under 150lb.
[/quote]

I'd highly recommend a Trigger for you at 115lb. I had one for a few years and loved it. Sold it cos I'm a little big (5ft 9) and was starting to move up to harder rivers, carrying more safety gear etc, and wanted something with a bit more volume. My smaller (5 ft) friend still has hers and loves it tho.
I would say for the original poster at 165lb you may find the Trigger a little small on volume.
I bought a diesel 65 instead - would definitely add it to the list of boats to have a look at.
Muireann
Time to create page: 1.156 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.