support unicef support unicef

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: My Remix XP9 has left this World...Aghh@!!!

My Remix XP9 has left this World...Aghh@!!! 14 years 3 months ago #28681

• TBudd
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
DANG Son of... x%&r*#$! holy crap moment--for the holidays. Anyone out there have a story like this one?

OOooKkkayyy. Been planning this trip to the mountains with my family since August. Packed up the van, my dry suit, paddle and gear and strapped my Remix XP9 onto the roof rack next to the cargo pod on the van (oh, yeah, and the wife and kids, dog and cat all loaded up to!). Heading out for a 8 hour trip for some mountain kayaking when 20 minutes into the trip I hear this weird sound, a whine, then something sounding like--I dunno--a torpedo shooting out of a submarine maybe. Then an explosion in the rear window. Nobody hurt. We pull over off the highway. The rear window bashed in by the Yakima racks that had flown off the roof rack that broke (!!!) and NO Kayak!!!

Had to turn around, make sure I hadn't caused an accident (I didn't), get the window repaired back home, and looked and looked for my kayak. Gone. Nowhere. It must have caught some serious air and is probably drilled into the earth somewhere (butt sticking up out of the ground and all...or maybe heading to South Africa; Adrian be on the look out for it please).

And I had just taken it out exploring some new spots on my favorite river (Indian) on a strong 20 knot west wind riding some nice rough conditions with her the day before. Dolphins everywhere, nice waves, etc.. Who'd a thunk it would be our last time together.

Let me tell you--it just goes to show you ya never know! We've ridden out horrible weather conditions together, dealt with sharks and alligators. And all along she was never in more danger than when on my roof rack!

(*I did order me another XP9--firebrick red---that should be at my door in a week after I get back.) Sheesh. I'd rather go for a swim than loose a kayak.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:My Remix XP9 has left this World...Aghh@!!! 14 years 3 months ago #28684

• AdrianTregoning
  • Thank you received: 8
Wow, that seriously sucks... Sorry to hear. Didn't pop up this side :P

I've never lost a kayak or windsurfer or my roof, but have been in a car when one came off, and one off a trailer - both times badly strapped.... Both times the boats were fine. A dude told me his WaveSport X came off (complete with racks) and hit 3 other cars at 120km/h. And then a dude from Austria said their racks (with several boats) came off at 180km/h in Germany - go figure :S

How fast were you going???? :)

Re:My Remix XP9 has left this World...Aghh@!!! 14 years 3 months ago #28685

• TBudd
  • Gold Boarder
About 70mph. And it's a little worse. I had the hatch stuffed with my best PFD, a sealskin spray skirt, and a pair of neoprene booties. Nothing I could do differently really. Strapped down really well and I used my best yakimas (one of which was destroyed as well--I guess from hitting the pavement). This little incident cost me..ooooohh....bout $1,700.00 all told.

Hitting 3 other cars would be worse. Thanks, Adrian. I feel better! (I had to laugh.) I was going to strap maybe my slalom boat onto the racks when I fixed THEM but the kids' eyes grew big as footballs when they saw me go into the garage (NO..he's not going to strap on ANOTHER ONE!)

Everyone's speaking in full sentences again (post freakin shock!) and we're in the mountains relaxing. Haw man!

Re:My Remix XP9 has left this World...Aghh@!!! 14 years 3 months ago #28687

• cjcc
  • Guru Boarder
Post this on the Boatertalk lost and found. It is the main southeast US whitewater forum. I'm not sure where else to post, since FL isn't really a big whitewater state. Maybe put it on Craigslist as well asking for it to be returned, and put it on several different area sites.

Re:My Remix XP9 has left this World...Aghh@!!! 14 years 3 months ago #28688

• TBudd
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks, CJCC. Might do that. The way I figure it, though, is it's either VERRYY badly damaged from richochetting off the pavement at high speed or someone picked it up (and/or I suppose) (would be good to have my gear back though!). Kills me. I was on the road looking for it within 1/2 hour. Now, if I were to drive down the highway and see a kayak along the side of the road I would first think--wow, someone lost a kayak! My very NEXT thought WOULD CERTAINLY be "I am going to leave that there because someone lost it and is certainly coming back for it. And I would leave it where it lay.

But whatever. It could have all been much worse I guess.

Re:My Remix XP9 has left this World...Aghh@!!! 12 years 8 months ago #31571

• gmacbride
  • Grom Boarder
OOOO --as a Remix XP9 owner I truly truly sympathize.
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.