Support American Whitewater! Support American Whitewater!

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: Help-which paddle?

Help-which paddle? 12 years 3 months ago #32104

• Caniwi
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Any thoughts are totally welcome.

I am a beginner paddler (grade 2) looking at two used paddles: AT Eddy (bent shaft) and a Werner (small shaft). Both in pretty good condition. Both same price. Is either brand better? Anything I should be looking out for?

Cheers
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Help-which paddle? 12 years 3 months ago #32105

• weirdoinventor
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Bent/crank shafts tend to be a bit more expensive, heavier and/or easier to break than straight shafts. Some people, especially people that spend a lot of time kayakking, use them because they put less stress on the wrists. Usually people switch to them because they\'re develloping wrist problems. I personally use a straight shaft because it works fine for me.

However, these are second hand paddles. If the bent paddle still looks better than then the alternative (less scratches, less wear, blades and shaft show no mayor faults) than you might simply be looking at a bargain. No need to look a gift horse in the mouth there.

The most important thing in my opinion (aside from the damage perhaps) is whether you\'re happy with the size of the blade and the length of the shaft. If possible try the paddles, paddle arround with them a bit. Feel a difference? Then you know which one is best for you.

[/just my 2 cents, I\'m known to be wrong every now and then]
The following user(s) said Thank You: Caniwi

Re: Help-which paddle? 12 years 3 months ago #32119

• AdrianTregoning
  • Thank you received: 8
weirdoinventor wrote:
The most important thing in my opinion (aside from the damage perhaps) is whether you\'re happy with the size of the blade and the length of the shaft. If possible try the paddles, paddle arround with them a bit. Feel a difference? Then you know which one is best for you.

Agreed with above. Both brands are very good. Some people may argue that Werner is the best out there. Each to their own. :roflol: I had a Werner in the past, was very happy. I recently bought a 4 piece Werner split paddle as a backup. Can't go wrong with those :notworthy:

One thing to look out for, and it may be hard to do this, but if you can compare the blade size of either of these paddles to a brand new one that would be good. The blades do wear down over time and if the previous owner was doing loads of low volume rivers they would have taken punishment... It'll be quite obvious if they're smaller. But as a I said, might be tricky to do the comparison unless you're in a shop or if someone just bought a new one that is the same model.
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.