Support American Whitewater! Support American Whitewater!

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: Looking for help researching a kid's kayak

Looking for help researching a kid's kayak 13 years 2 months ago #30718

• Morris
  • Grom Boarder

Looking for some help!

I want to get a kayak for my daughter. We are located in Arizona so we predominately paddle on flat water and do some limited white water. My daughter is 10 years old and 4'-10" weighing in at 75 pounds.

I have a Liquid Logic Remix XP10 and absolutely love it because of its flexibility and stability. I would like a similar kayak for her. However, the research that I have done, has not revealed any boats that are set up for her size. I think a skeg would be helpful in reducing new paddler frustration.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what boat would meet our needs?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

KW

P.S. If you have not heard. Liquid Logic's customer service is awesome. I purchased my boat used from South Sierra. Knowing this Liquid Logic shipped me new hip pads and later replaced the retaining strap for my hatch. This is refreshing customer service.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Looking for help researching a kid's kayak 13 years 2 months ago #30722

• deon
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Small Fluid Spice is the way to go. If they are available in your area try and get one to demo. I use them for kiddies kayak school and when the kids get a bit bigger then the medium spice is a supa all rounder, bu by then the kid might want something different like a freestyle or creek boat.
Happy paddling.

Re: Looking for help researching a kid's kayak 13 years 2 months ago #30723

• Morris
  • Grom Boarder
Thanks for the input.....however this addresses the whitewater side of this. Is there a solution on the market that allows will optimize whitewater and flat water?

Have a great day! Again, thank you for the suggestion.

KW

Re:Looking for help researching a kid's kayak 13 years 2 months ago #30729

• cjcc
  • Guru Boarder
This is probably the smallest kayak with skeg available:

pyranha.com/kayaks.php?kayak=Master%20TG

Not sure if they offer the TG Lite with a skeg, but the TG should work well for her, and give her some room to grow. As far as hybrids go, I'd say the Fusion S would be the next smallest option.

Re:Looking for help researching a kid's kayak 13 years 2 months ago #30735

• Morris
  • Grom Boarder
Thanks for the input... I will look at that.

Re:Looking for help researching a kid's kayak 13 years 2 months ago #30737

• cjcc
  • Guru Boarder
A few other options would be a Fluid Vaya, LL Coupe, or Dagger Torrent, for whitewater hybrids. However, the Coupe and Torrent would likely be too big. The last option would be an inflatable, which would be a bit lighter and more portable for her as well (and no need for a skirt with a sit-on-top).

Re:Looking for help researching a kid's kayak 13 years 2 months ago #30742

• goose1441
  • Junior Boarder
I know they are more on the whitewater side, but the Jackson Fun 1 1/2 or Side kick are both great learning kids boats. they are both easy to roll and control. if you are concerned about her getting impatient with manueverability, i would go with the side kick. they are both very stable.

Re:Looking for help researching a kid's kayak 13 years 2 months ago #30747

• playerjoe
  • Pro Boarder
its an old boat, but its great for kids to learn. i talght my 9 year old bro how to kayak in it, and he found it fine.also has a skeg. it is called

pyrana master light

www.upandunder.co.uk/images/products/pyr...mastertgliteclub.jpg
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.