Support American Whitewater! support unicef

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: Choosing Extreme camera

Choosing Extreme camera 13 years 3 months ago #30597

• Igor
  • Pro Boarder
Good day , do you have any recommendation about extreme camera ?
I know only one model is GoPro..
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Choosing Extreme camera 13 years 3 months ago #30598

• cjcc
  • Guru Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
The Contour camera hasn't been for sale long (first saw it a few weeks ago on NRS's site), but it looks promising. Mounts on the side of the camera, so less likely to take a shot, although it is more expensive than the GoPro. www.nrsweb.com/shop/product_list.asp?deptid=2370

Re:Choosing Extreme camera 13 years 3 months ago #30600

• AdrianTregoning
  • Thank you received: 8
GoPro HD, hard to beat. Very tough, waterproof to 60 metres, amazing quality film and good sound. Shoots 1080p at 30 fps and other quality modes too, also 5 Mega pixel photos. Amazing camera.

Look at the angles of other camera's lenses too. You want nice and wide for kayaking, like the GoPro :) Many (most?) kayakers are using GoPro's. If you watch Discovery Channel you'll see even programs like Deadliest Catch, and many others using them ;)

Re:Choosing Extreme camera 13 years 3 months ago #30601

• Igor
  • Pro Boarder
Contour HD is really good camera but you need to buy special box becouse the camera is water resistant (not waterproof )

Re:Choosing Extreme camera 13 years 3 months ago #30602

• Igor
  • Pro Boarder
ok. thanks !

Re:Choosing Extreme camera 13 years 3 months ago #30627

• coreexped
  • Grom Boarder
love the go pro!

Re:Choosing Extreme camera 13 years 3 months ago #30636

• dave99
  • Grom Boarder
Just got the Contour HD for Xmas. V impressed, its small and the HD is good. Only tried it snow boarding so far. As someone mentioned you have to get a waterproof case separately.

GF brought it me because she thought the GoPro camera was to big. I'm not sure if thats true. From my experience so far, i can recommend the Contour HD.

Re:Choosing Extreme camera 13 years 3 months ago #30639

• AdrianTregoning
Bummer about having to buy a case. But what a girlfriend!!! Nice :lol:

Re:Choosing Extreme camera 13 years 3 months ago #30642

• Jeroen
  • Administrator
I added the Contours to the Playak Buyers Guide:

playak.com/buyersguide.php?cid=5016&scid...rbrand&scval=contour

good looking gadgets...
If you're happy, you're successful.

Re:Choosing Extreme camera 13 years 3 months ago #30655

• Igor
  • Pro Boarder
I'm testing this camera right now . I'll write short report in 5-7 days

Re:Choosing Extreme camera 13 years 3 months ago #30666

• Igor
  • Pro Boarder
Contoured HD review
- I used the camera during 10 days in Austria
Pluses
1) Good quality
2) Quick tunings
Minuses
1) You need to buy special water – resistance box
2) You can’t change viewing angle of camera in an horizontal plane

Re:Choosing Extreme camera 13 years 2 months ago #30703

• alastairhastie
  • Grom Boarder
How about the Kodak playsport? 1080p 30 fps or 720p 60fps , its very small waterproof to 5m and can be attached to you helmet with the optional mount, best thing is its cheap go one for xmas and have been really impressed with it

Re:Choosing Extreme camera 13 years 1 month ago #30779

• PonoBill
  • Grom Boarder
there's quite a few choices. I have two Go Pros, the original and the HD. Both are fine though a bit limited. The HD's wide angle lens makes the whole world kind of round. I really like the option of automatically shooting a photo every few seconds. It's good for building animoto slide shows or just catching action shots when you can't use your hands. Lots of mounts for the gopro too--head mounts, chest mounts, deck, paddle, etc.

If you want better lenses, zoom and and more features the Sanyo Xacti series is good, The cameras are waterproof to about ten feet (though I've had them much deeper. Unfortunately you need to have the screen swung out to shoot--stupid requirement, but there you go. You can mount them with any tripod mount.

For a bit more money (around 500) you can get a panasonic Lumix TS2 which is pretty bulletproof. Shoots HD 720 video, 15 megapixel photos with 4X digital zoom and image stabilization. Very tough camera. My friend Bill Boyum here on Maui has one that he's used to shoot some amazing downwind videos

I just bought a Sony Nex-5 that I'm going to get a waterproof case for. It's kind of a semi-pro step, a lot of camera for not so much money (under $1000 for everything). Interchangeable lenses, HD video, huge sensor, shoots 1080p at 60FPS. Overkill for most stuff but I'm trying to shoot some semi-pro video for my websites.

I'm working on an xtreme camera review on one of them: Xtreme Geezer (www.xgeez.com) but it probably won't be up for a few days.

Re:Choosing Extreme camera 13 years 2 weeks ago #30899

• powertheqwerty
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I heard the Kodak Playsport were good cameras. Waterproof, HD, 1080p with SD card slot etc and fairly cheap £120

Anyway heres the link:http://shop.kodak.co.uk/store/ekconseu/en_GB/pd/PLAYSPORT_Video_Camera__Zx3/productID.170164000
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.