Support American Whitewater! support unicef

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: New to Paddling

New to Paddling 13 years 5 months ago #30363

• smjack75
  • Grom Boarder
Hey everyone! I'm just getting started in my kayaking adventures and would welcome any advice. I recently did a small day kayaking trip and was hooked. Now I am looking for all the classes I can take to really progress and am currently looking to buy my first kayak. Does anyone have any advice.

Any tips or information you can give would be great. Also I live in WV, you would think there would be more groups here but I am having a hard time finding any. Anyone have any tips on that as well.

Great to meet you all.

Steph :laugh:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:New to Paddling 13 years 5 months ago #30367

• cjcc
  • Guru Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
What kind of kayaking (flatwater, whitewater)? Check your local Craigslist for boats and gear packages. Odds are, if you want to do flatwater you should probably look for one around 12-14 feet long, and fairly wide. If you want to do more touring style kayaking on flatwater (covering large distances) look at longer boats, and for something like fishing look for a bit shorter one, preferably a sit-on-top. If you want to buy new, I would look first at a Liquid Logic Coupe. It's about 10 feet long, has a wheel on the back to move it around, really nice outfitting is available a la carte, and it is a sit-on-top (no need to learn to roll, if you flip you just hop back on without needing to drain). Plus, you can paddle either whitewater or flatwater with it.

liquidlogickayaks.com/coupe.cfm

www.mockayaks.com/liquid-logic-coupe-p-2...bf5562e94c5354aab02d

Re:New to Paddling 13 years 5 months ago #30379

• smjack75
  • Grom Boarder
Thanks for all the great information. I checked out Craigslist already not a whole lot of available used boats in my area. I really enjoy the flatwater, touring and sea kayaking right now. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to get into whitewater, but am afraid my experience level is not quite up to par for that yet. Although, I do see me getting into that in the future. I really wish I could find a local or not so far away group to go on outings with. Thank you for the great links, I think I feel a bit better in the sit inside models and yes definitely something a bit wider to start to offer more stability. IF you have any other tips send them over, I can use all of them.

Thanks,
Stephanie :)

Re:New to Paddling 13 years 5 months ago #30381

• cjcc
  • Guru Boarder
If speed isn't a big concern, check out some of the hybrids on the market. I would say the top 2 right now are the Pyranha Fusion and the Liquid Logic Remix XP, in that order, followed by the Jackson All-Water and Dagger Approach (as far as whitewater capability). All of them have a skeg, which is basically a fixed rudder so you can go straight, but it can be raised up and paddled like a whitewater boat, or lowered and paddled like a rec boat. All these are also very wide, and between 9 and 11 feet long. Very stable, quick for a kayak of that length, and they have hatches to hold gear in easily (you should still use drybags, but you don't need to secure them inside like in a boat without a hatch.

Re:New to Paddling 12 years 11 months ago #30964

• powertheqwerty
  • Junior Boarder
Glad you got into kayaking! its such a fantastic sport. It does depend on what kind of kayaking eg: sea kayaking, river running or freestyle (playboats)
If i were you id do some research on some boats but for river running id suggest the pyranha inazone. They have won more awards than you can shake a stick at and is comonly regarded as the best beginners river runner.
As a beginner make sure you try before you buy and make sure it is comfy for you and not to tight.
Hope this helps!! and good luck :)

PTQ

Re: New to Paddling 11 years 7 months ago #32569

• tabscorbet
  • Grom Boarder
I love kayaking but my arms get sore after.:(

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.