support unicef support unicef

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: What Kayak Has the Highest Initial Stability on non-whitewater Rivers?

What Kayak Has the Highest Initial Stability on non-whitewater Rivers? 11 years 8 months ago #32540

• SanFranKayaker
  • Grom Boarder
I was asked to recommend a tip-proof kayak for a somewhat hydrophobic beginner.

Suggestions?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: What Kayak Has the Highest Initial Stability on non-whitewater Rivers? 11 years 8 months ago #32542

• AdrianTregoning
  • Thank you received: 8
How long is a piece of string? :) Depends on the type of kayak (sit on top, sit inside?)

Generally something wider is more stable. A very rounded cross section is also going to be a lot more unstable, versus something with a deeper draft (ie. less round) or with more defined edges. But many other factors come into play, even rocker. Deeply rockered profiles will have more stability, like in sea kayaks - same in ships.

Go to a dealer and ask. Then try on some flat water. They should have something to demo. Getting wet is half the fun!!! Good luck.

Re: What Kayak Has the Highest Initial Stability on non-whitewater Rivers? 11 years 8 months ago #32543

• Dustin Urban
  • Grom Boarder
Generally speaking you're going to be shopping for Recreational Kayaks if stability is your primary concern. Touring Kayaks, aka sea kayaks, are designed to be fast and sleak, but they're narrower and more tippy as well. "Crossover" kayaks like the Jackson Rogue, LiquidLogic Remix XP, Pyranha Fusion, etc are also going to be less stable.

Of course their are a LOT of "touring kayaks" out there. I've put together a list though which you can check out here: Recreational Kayaks

Good luck and feel free to elaborate on your needs if you want more feedback. i.e. where will the boat be used, what's your budget, etc Best,

Dustin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeroen

Re: What Kayak Has the Highest Initial Stability on non-whitewater Rivers? 11 years 8 months ago #32544

• Jeroen
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 8
Thanks Dustin.

Sanfran, to see how long your shortlist can get, also look at the Playak Buyers Guide:
playak.com/buyersguide.php?cid=5010&scid=boatusage
and click on Recreation or Touring.

Btw the first boat I started thinking of after seeing your question was the old Riot Glide. That boat is pretty wide and the bottom is very flat, so it has great primary stability. I have often put beginners in that boat and it is indeed very stable, as long as you're on flatwater or maybe WW-I. As soon as they enter some real currents, they'll notice that the hard edges are pretty aggresive of course...
If you're happy, you're successful.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dustin Urban

Re: What Kayak Has the Highest Initial Stability on non-whitewater Rivers? 11 years 8 months ago #32548

• Dustin Urban
  • Grom Boarder
quite long indeed! and i thought there were a lot whitewater boats to choose from...
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.