Support American Whitewater! Support American Whitewater!

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: Small Burn or Medium Burn

Small Burn or Medium Burn 11 years 5 months ago #32791

• Paddleboiiy
  • Grom Boarder
Hi guys i have been paddling for 2 years now. I currently have the pyranha jed and its getting close to winter time so i decided to start looking for a creeker. I have found a medium and i was wondering if i should buy it?

Im currently 5'6" and weight 140lbs. Im not getting any taller but am putting on some weight because im a college student. I have been looking at a lot of reviews and everybody says to go bigger i was just wondering what you all thought?

Thanks Ben,
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Small Burn or Medium Burn 11 years 4 months ago #32810

• joshkth
  • Grom Boarder
With creek boats "too big" usually isn't the concern. You are at the bottom end of the weight range for the medium and the middle of the weight range for the small. The length of the boats isn't tremendously different, but the medium has much higher volume than the small... around 40L or so.

Things to consider,
- do you feel comfortable in the boat? Some boats are too large because smaller paddlers catch their knuckles on the edges of boats when paddling or 'feel' like the boat is too big.

- where are you going to paddle? Narrow steep creeks? You may enjoy a smaller boat. High volume rivers, bigger is better.

Larger creek boats tend to be slightly faster, punch holes better, re-surface quicker, offer more of a cadillac ride with space to spare. On the flipside, smaller boats help in narrow creeks and can be more playful. If you can sit in the boat and see how it feels to paddle, my guess is you would do fine in either and if you have a good deal on a medium, go for it.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CalumJStott
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.