Support American Whitewater! Support American Whitewater!

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: Kayaking in New Zealand

Kayaking in New Zealand 16 years 5 months ago #19177

• rockrat
  • Grom Boarder
I've just finished five months of work and now have roughly three months to fill before I get another contract. I would really like to go on a bit of a kayaking adventure in this time to New Zealand and leave the United Kingdom behind for a while but don't know what or how to go about planning it.

CAN ANYONE HELP?
I want to be gone in three weeks so what should I look into?
Has anyone got any contacts in New Zealand for paddling partners or people I can stay with for relatively little cost?
What's the best area to base myself around?
Who should I fly with?
What should I take?
How's the best way to get around?

Obviously I have a limited budget as my five months of work wasn't amazingly well paid, but I can sacrifice luxuries so I can get by.

Cheers in advance,
Iain
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Kayaking in New Zealand 16 years 5 months ago #19191

• marlow
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Iain

Im from NZ so ill try answer some of your Qs. NZ is an awesome place to boat.
Finding people to boat with will be easy as, kiwis are super friendly and there will be heaps of overseas people around over summer for kayaking.
Bringing or bying a boat, duno which is best, plenty of boats available here, maybe depends if you can get yours over here for cheap or free???? NOT BA
Bring all your other gear, but there are a few good shops if you need stuff.

Buying a van or car is the best idea as NZ has little Publc transport, and youll need a way of carrying your boat. they are easy to buy and sell here too.

Now where to be based.... i would fly into auckland, buy a car, buy the guide book drive down to taupo/rotarua do some paddling for a bit then head to the south island. once your in the south island SI it depends how hard you want to boat. You could also fly in to chch and just do the SI (would be cheaper, but still buy a car/van)
Murchison has heaps of good boating up to class 3.5 with a couple of class 4 options with water.

The west coast (Hokitika) has heaps of boating, mostly in the class 3+ to 5 range

there are a few good runs on the east coast as well as queenstown.

The last three summers i have done month long paddling missions around the SI and still havent done half the runs, there is heaps to do!

\"camping is free and available most places\"

Ill be around boating in murch and west coast a bit this summer send me an email when you get in, im based in christchurch

[mail address protected from spambots with javascript]

CHeers
Marlow

Re:Kayaking in New Zealand 16 years 5 months ago #19192

• akpv
  • Grom Boarder
Gday,

Also planning on heading over to NZ start of December. Flying into Christchurch then finding a car, heading to murchison / west coast, going boating. Are there any good NZ websites people use to sell their cars, particularly chch?

Also, bringing creekers, but thinking about bringing playboats too, are there many high volume / play runs to be done on the south island? Any easy way of getting from the airport to somewhere cheap to stay or camp with boats?

What sort of boating you looking to do Ian?

Alex.

Re:Kayaking in New Zealand 16 years 5 months ago #19193

• rockrat
  • Grom Boarder
Creeking mainly as I'll only bring my creek boat out. My playboat is going to be sold to help get some more funds for the trip.

Re:Kayaking in New Zealand 16 years 5 months ago #19216

• marlow
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Alex

Best place to sell your car would probly be trademe.co.nz, everyone in nz is on it selling/buying all the time.

There are a few high (ish) volume runs, heaps on the buller and kawarau, and some others when in flood. Park n play dosent really exist here but most of the runs metioned above are sweet for play boats with some cool features
Queenstown also has an amazing play run on the upper shotover, with more sweet waves than you can shake a stick at.

there is a camp groud just up the road from the airport, you might be able to get a shuttle or a taxi van or a bus. i guess it would depend on what time you got in and your budget etc

Marlow

Re:Kayaking in New Zealand 16 years 5 months ago #19223

• akpv
  • Grom Boarder
Thanks alot for all the info! Looking forward to getting over there.
Moderators: Rapid_Russ
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.