support unicef Support American Whitewater!

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: Kayaking in Peru?

Kayaking in Peru? 15 years 3 hours ago #25976

• AdrianTregoning
  • Thank you received: 8
Good day,

I’m thinking about making a kayaking trip to Peru later this year. The whitewater there looks really great and I’ve always wanted to make a turn there. When is the best time(s) for hitting this country? Any particular rivers you can recommend? Any websites/contacts/photos/maps would be most useful.

Many thanks,
Adrian :lol:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Kayaking in Peru? 14 years 11 months ago #25978

• cjcc
  • Guru Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I would think that Chile/Argentina would be better, primarily because of the Futalefu. You could also try the river that Pedro ran a few weeks ago, setting the new waterfall record. I know that a lot of people will go to Mexico and Costa Rica as well. From what I've seen, Mexico looks like it has great whitewater, but they have lots of drug dealers as well, that are shooting at each other all the time. The water there looks great, and here are a few links that you might want to look at:

boatertalk.com/gallery/image.php?imageid=4866
boatertalk.com/gallery/gallery.php?userid=granolapaddler

As for Peru, here ya go. www.peruwhitewater.com/

Re:Kayaking in Peru? 14 years 11 months ago #25979

• AdrianTregoning
Those two links from boatertalk look like Mexico to me... :huh: Not what I want. I want to go to Peru specifically for the type of terrain (dry & barren)/rapids (techincal, steep boulder fields) /scenery/people etc which is very different to the places you've mentioned.

I've seen the Peruwhitewater link, thanks for that. It was fairly helpful, but I wouldn't mind more.. Thanks.

Anybody with first hand experience visiting this country? B)

Re:Kayaking in Peru? 14 years 11 months ago #25980

• cjcc
  • Guru Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Re:Kayaking in Peru? 14 years 11 months ago #25981

• AdrianTregoning
I saw Bio Bio Expeditions advertised on the net already. I'm not interested in commerical stuff.... ;) But thanks for the effort.

Anybody else? :laugh:

Re:Kayaking in Peru? 14 years 11 months ago #26035

• Gooberman101
  • Grom Boarder
What time u thinking of heading over. And are u looking for any other peeps to come?

Re:Kayaking in Peru? 14 years 11 months ago #26038

• AdrianTregoning
I'm not sure. It depends on when the best time is, and also, on when I take leave from work. That I'll have to put in quite soon. Thinking possibly between September to November, somwhere around there. Head over for 2 to 3 weeks.

Yeah I'll probably invite a couple of people I know, and take it from there. But I'd definitely look at other people for sure.

Re:Kayaking in Peru? 14 years 11 months ago #26064

• terryblissstick
Hey Adrian, our crew will be checkig out Peru and Ecuador in January. The is some infor on Peru river runs in some guide books we found. "World Whitewater" by Jim Cassady and Dan Dunlap, "The Worlds Wildest Rivers White Water" by Ranulph Fiennes and "Rivergods" by Richard Bangs and Christian Kallen.

If you slip next door to Ecuador the book is The Kayakers Guide to Ecuador" by Don Beveridge.

t

Re:Kayaking in Peru? 14 years 11 months ago #26081

• AdrianTregoning
Thanks for the info Terry! Pity there isn't a book on Peru. I've contacted a few people who have been there before and have managed to get an e-mail address of a chap called Nice that lives there, and paddles. Let's see where that leads. From the sounds of things it is suicidal to paddle a lot of the stuff there when the water is high. Which doesn't sound like a good time to me.. :angry: So it seems low water is the way to go. :) I'll keep prodding around. Anyone else with any info please shout. Thanks! :)

Re:Kayaking in Peru? 14 years 11 months ago #26116

• terryblissstick
Hey Philip, will e-mail you direct when our crews plans are ironed out. Would love to meet up.

Thanks

t
Moderators: Rapid_Russ
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.