Support American Whitewater! Support American Whitewater!

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: Nile questions

Nile questions 14 years 7 months ago #27612

• snug
  • Junior Boarder
So I'm trying to figure out a trip to the Nile and still have a few questions...
First, I'm peddling this trip as a honeymoon to my wife and therefore will be showing up to paddle alone. Will it be easy enough to find people to paddle with, or is it reasonable to be running this stuff by myself? I just want to go surf epic waves! Next, I am planning on bringing my new 2010 Super Star with me and selling it down there, is there a decent market to sell a hot new boat like this for a reasonable price? Or alternativly would I be better off trying to find a boat down there? This is a once in a lifetime trip for me and I dont want to be trying to paddle some ghetto old playboat on some of the worlds sickest waves. Lastly, I think I'm set on going to the Nile but always wanted to paddle the Zam as well, can anybody give me some idea about what it costs to fly between the two?
I'm not set on dates yet but thinking sometime in January for a month or so. Sure wish I could make it for the festival in Nov. but thats just too early for me.
Thanks to all for the great info!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Nile questions 14 years 6 months ago #28125

• scottyr
  • Guru Boarder
I dunno how i missed this thread so i'm sorry for such a late reply.

1) You shouldn't have any problem finding people to paddle with, there are usually always paddlers around. If not, & if solo river running is your thing, its not so bad. Although i would leave widowmaker and the like alone until you get some people to paddle with.

2) You should be able to sell your boat, the only issue here is that you probably won't get as higher price as you'd hope. There are many local paddlers always looking for boats but they are not the wealthiest people so don't expect do fetch a high price for it. Maybe Jamie (from Kayakthenile.com would be keen?)

3) Jamie does have a range of boats to choose from, albeit it is dominated by Fluid boats - which doesn't bother me at least :laugh:

4) In terms of the Zam your best bet is to check flysaa.com for flights between Entebbe and Livingstone. However, in January the Zambezi levels are a bit high and it can be very scary at those levels if you're not used to big volume. If i were i'd save my cash for a another trip and head to the Zam separtely in the 2nd half of the year.

Hope that helps out a bit.

Scotty R

Re:Nile questions 14 years 6 months ago #28147

• snug
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks Scotty,
All that is helpful as I look closer to buying tickets.
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.