Support American Whitewater! support unicef

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: Favorite Paddle Wear Brand?

Favorite Paddle Wear Brand? 14 years 9 months ago #26980

• cjcc
  • Guru Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Poll: [url=modules.php?name=Surveys&op=results&pollID=48]Favorite Paddle Wear Brand?[/url]

I don't really have a favorite paddle wear brand. Most of my gear is different companies (Level Six, Extrasport, NRS), and I don't know of many unsponsored people who only buy things from one company. My main factor is price, as well as adjustability, and otherwise I would probably use mostly IR stuff, but their shorties don't fit me well, especially on the neck (I have a 12" neck), which is really the only reason that I use Level Six, and I use Extrasport because I got some drypants for $70ish. NRS for insulation, planning to return shoes (need wider shoes), and that's about it. The Extrasport closures seem to be the best out there, as far as adjustable closures go, at least compared to my Level Six Knight jacket.
The topic has been locked.

Re:Favorite Paddle Wear Brand? 14 years 9 months ago #26985

• skirnir
  • Gold Boarder
I would like to see Sweet in this list. What I have heard their paddling jackets are pretty awesome. I have not tried many brands, currently have a Kokatat which is a great and comfortable jacket. I had a Stohlquist before which was heavy and durable and I would love to get one again. Does any one know where I could find a Stohlquist in Europe? It's time to get a new jacket :)

Re:Favorite Paddle Wear Brand? 14 years 9 months ago #27111

• pikeyuk
  • Junior Boarder
Dude get in contact with the guys at www.SqaureRock.co.uk they bring Stohlquist gear into europe. i'm sure they can help you out. why would you not get another kokatat top. there so dry and last so long.

Re:Favorite Paddle Wear Brand? 14 years 9 months ago #27129

• skirnir
  • Gold Boarder
I would also be happy with a Kokatat, but I realy like the kevlar elbows and shoulders on the Stolqhuist. The reason I need a new drytop is because there was no kevlar on the shoulder of the Kokatat, and rock beats goretex all the time :)

Re:Favorite Paddle Wear Brand? 14 years 9 months ago #27130

• Ilqa
  • Junior Boarder
I think Stohlquist drytops are the best. The quality and the cut are really good.

You can find the dealers in Europe at www.stohlquist.de.

Re:Favorite Paddle Wear Brand? 14 years 8 months ago #27213

• los
  • Junior Boarder
I don't like a dry top, unless I go creecking for a day, or in the winter.
The best gear for freestyle and fun padeling is from duemstuff.com. Realy comftable materials and cuts, best spray decks and rodeo life jacket.
I think DuemStuff is allso the best in using colors and graficks, realy a brand for the future.
Can't wait for the dry stuff!

Re:Favorite Paddle Wear Brand? 14 years 8 months ago #27515

• terryblissstick
Hey anyway to list the other companies that the 84 "others" voted for? Always looking for something new.

Re:Favorite Paddle Wear Brand? 14 years 8 months ago #27540

• FeMke
  • Grom Boarder
sandiline !!! High quality gear made in Slovenia .. :kiss:

www.sandiline.com
[color=]Unique As You Are![/color]

Re:Favorite Paddle Wear Brand? 14 years 6 months ago #28100

• crazyliam7
  • Junior Boarder
i dont have a particular fav brand but i mostly use rasdeck which is a home brand

Re:Favorite Paddle Wear Brand? 14 years 3 months ago #28878

• McNastyWAG
  • Grom Boarder
I mostly use Immersion Research, but i really like Kokatat gear as well.

Re:Favorite Paddle Wear Brand? 14 years 3 months ago #28941

• jjdebird
  • Junior Boarder
Why not a good old t-shirt & coton button shirt layer over it. Why look like a snob, get out and have fun, if you need high priced gear to look like you know what you are doing, real paddlers will see right thru it.

Re:Favorite Paddle Wear Brand? 14 years 3 months ago #28946

• cjcc
  • Guru Boarder
You need good gear because when you are paddling in the fall, winter, and spring, the water can be very cold (a few weeks ago some of the NC rivers were literally frozen solid) and you want to reduce the risk of hypothermia.

Also, most of the "real paddlers" have the same high priced gear.

No offense, but I'm beginning to think that you are a troll.

Re:Favorite Paddle Wear Brand? 14 years 3 months ago #28948

• jjdebird
  • Junior Boarder
Calling names only cuts you down, no offense... your whole point in using the cut down is to remove my credibility & get other readers to agree before seeing the content or think for themselves, exactly what people (and the media) use to tear down someone's point when they have nothing behind their own.

Yes it's nice to have the right gear for the right conditions, but why an expensive, easily identified name brand? Lables should be on the inside to tell you how to care for an item. The cost of the boat, or the boater's gear has nothing to do with the skill or quality of the boatee. If high end gear makes it easier, then the person with the cheap stuff is a better boater, and the floating billboard needs every bit of help they can get. And who generaly brings out trash that has landed in a stream, not the guy with the several thousand dollar boat & expensive costume, it's the guys in the old, beat up craft, in clothes that are on their last run.

Sure if you can afford the good stuff get it, but do not judge the skill level of ones that don't have it.

Re:Favorite Paddle Wear Brand? 14 years 2 months ago #28952

• jonnyhawk
  • Pro Boarder
Wow this thread is getting a little out of my league. I will stay on topic and go with Peak UK. Try to stay on topic people. Sandiline does have some nice gear also.

Jonny
www.downriverkayaks.com

Re:Favorite Paddle Wear Brand? 14 years 2 months ago #28953

• cjcc
  • Guru Boarder
As I said before, I could care less about the company, but typically would go with a brand that I trust. If everyone says "IR gear is terrible, wears fast, and leaks badly" (I can say that it doesn't), I would not look at IR gear. However, when I see a drytop for $70 brand new, seeing that it is a reputable brand increases my confidence in buying it, and I know that the company will back their product up. That is why I am a huge fan of NRS and IR (Haven't bought anything from Kokatat yet). PeakUK and Johnson Outdoors seem really slow in responding to emails, but NRS responds within 20 minutes most of the time, and IR has live chat which helps in efficiency.

Re:Favorite Paddle Wear Brand? 14 years 2 months ago #28954

• Jeroen
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 8
Subject closed. This has gone off-topic too far. Feel free to start a new thread in the Gear forum, but this is not related to this poll anymore.

My final remark to the cheap/quality issue is that it all depends on your goals. No need to wear a Goretex drysuit at pool training, and cotton clothing has no purpose outside easy recreational paddling in warm weather conditions.
If you're happy, you're successful.
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.