Support American Whitewater! Support American Whitewater!

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: Boats & Boards: Mirage

Boats & Boards: Mirage 13 years 9 months ago #29906

• Jeroen
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 8
[url=article.php?sid=2363]
[/url]Product Discussion: [url=article.php?sid=2363]Boats & Boards: Mirage[/url]
In its day, it was used for flatwater, whitewater, attainments, racing, green-wave surfing, side surfing, enders, waterfalls, and anything else that kayaks did.

The Mirage is thoroughly obsolete in all those categories, but it takes several modern kayaks to cover all that ground.
If you're happy, you're successful.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Boats & Boards: Mirage 13 years 9 months ago #31105

• StarkChaos
  • Grom Boarder
Hello community. I bought what I believe is a Perception Mirage about a year ago for $100! I did not have a lot to spend and I really wanted to get into the sport. I have a couple of holes on the bottom to repair, and after watching some youtube video, I feel pretty confident about doing this. However, I noticed that when handling the kayak, I could feel little fiberglass splinters! I was wondering if the best thing to do would be to mix a big bactch of the fiberglass resin and spray it on? Would that act as a new gelcoat? Or could I just spray the boat with a fiberglass primer, and then spraypaint the boat with some marine paint?

Thanks

JC

Re:Boats & Boards: Mirage 13 years 9 months ago #29911

• Jurgen
  • Expert Boarder
What is the boat made out of? I used to have a Mirage and it was made out of plastic. Pretty similar to the image you had in your post - it was almost transparent.
If it is made out of plastic the technique you describe would be very inappropriate to repair this boat.
If, as your post suggests, it is made out of fibreglass, then you need only make small repairs where the holes are using patches of fibre glass matting mixed with resin.

Re:Boats & Boards: Mirage 13 years 9 months ago #29913

• StarkChaos
  • Grom Boarder
That picture actually isn't my kayak, it was already posted on this page. I will attach my Kayak. Thank you for your input though, it was very helpful, and yes, i'm sure that my kayak is fiberglass. I hope to have this project done soon and will post new pictures as I go.
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.