support unicef Support American Whitewater!

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: Breakdown Paddle Idea - Thoughts and Comments Welcome!

Breakdown Paddle Idea - Thoughts and Comments Welcome! 8 years 9 months ago #35684

• JJPaddlin
  • Grom Boarder
Hi everyone,

I just broke my paddle on the Ottawa at Coliseum and would have really loved to not C1 the rest of the river. I have come up with an idea for a compact collapsible four piece paddle and was wondering if anyone here a) would want one if I did a kickstarter and b) have any opinions on what they would like to see in a breakdown? I figure that it will cost about 150 USD per paddle to make a nice fiberglass one.

Thanks for your input!

JJ
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Breakdown Paddle Idea - Thoughts and Comments Welcome! 8 years 9 months ago #35685

• AdrianTregoning
  • Thank you received: 8
Keep a set of hand paddles in your boat. Lighter, simpler. Unless you have to paddle far, or if the section is serious. Just a thought.

Re: Breakdown Paddle Idea - Thoughts and Comments Welcome! 8 years 8 months ago #35692

• richvrm
  • Junior Boarder
I would recommend the hand paddles also. I made a couple sets for about $15-$20 in materials. They work great and fit in my stern under my float bags. Here is the link if you want to make a set yourself.

adrian.playak.com/index.php/articles-mai...our-own-hand-paddles

Re: Breakdown Paddle Idea - Thoughts and Comments Welcome! 8 years 8 months ago #35693

• AdrianTregoning
richvrm wrote:
I would recommend the hand paddles also. I made a couple sets for about $15-$20 in materials. They work great and fit in my stern under my float bags. Here is the link if you want to make a set yourself.

adrian.playak.com/index.php/articles-mai...our-own-hand-paddles

I do apologise for the broken links for those files in that article. Once every few months someone mails me to ask for the PDF/DWG files. I will make a plan to rectify that article. In the meantime, please shoot me a mail and I'll gladly mail you the templates :)

Re: Breakdown Paddle Idea - Thoughts and Comments Welcome! 8 years 8 months ago #35694

• richvrm
  • Junior Boarder
Email me at [mail address protected from spambots with javascript] I have them on my work computer.

Re: Breakdown Paddle Idea - Thoughts and Comments Welcome! 8 years 8 months ago #35698

• Jeroen
  • Administrator
Another possibility is to use neoprene hand paddles, like these ones from Bellyak: bellyak.com/products/bellyak-pro-glove/ . Advantage is that they are even easier to carry, plus you can still use your finger for simple tasks. I think Speedo makes those as well. They don't give you quite the same paddling power as those made of hard materials though...
If you're happy, you're successful.

Re: Breakdown Paddle Idea - Thoughts and Comments Welcome! 8 years 8 months ago #35699

• AdrianTregoning
richvrm wrote:
Email me at [mail address protected from spambots with javascript] I have them on my work computer.

Please do not distribute my files. I have not given you permission. Of course you can do as you wish, and I would never know. But please respect this. Thanks.
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.