Support American Whitewater! Jackson Kayak

[please login to make this ad block disappear]
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Which playboat?

Which playboat? 2 years 11 months ago #35567

• Jitsu
  • Junior Boarder
Hello, I am looking for my first (beginner) whitewater kayak and I am not sure which one to get. I would like to get a playboat since it is small and manoeuvrable, I will mainly be running it in class 1 to 3 rapids and doing some small drops on waterfalls (3-6 ft). I will also be doing Some flat water paddling. I might get into play boating in holes and on waves in the future. My price range is from 300-400 dollars for a used one.

My weight: 88 lbs.
My height: 5 foot.

Not sure about inseam but my foot size is 5,
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Which playboat? 2 years 11 months ago #35568

• bartw
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 19
Hello Jitsu,

The same question is asked on playak several times, maybe your question is answered in former (recent) forums like:
playak.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&f...w&catid=107&id=26534

playak.com/news.php?idd=2352836938817

playak.com/news.php?idd=3179759443345

Your name probably refers to the Dagger Jitsu, which is a also good boat, but I don't know if it is the right boat to start in. For sure it is very forgiven. As for all the boats you want to start in: try to test them first! ...best with help from a more experienced playboater.

Good Luck!
If you have a specific boat in mind, don't hasitate to ask for advise.

Re: Which playboat? 2 years 11 months ago #35569

• Jitsu
  • Junior Boarder
Thank you for your reply!

Re: Which playboat? 2 years 11 months ago #35570

• Jitsu
  • Junior Boarder
Hello, would someone be able to tell me if a dagger crazy 88 is a good kayak? I am not sure what size it is (5.9, 6.0, 6.3 etc.) if anyone has experience with that kayak please tell me.

Thanks, jitsu

Re: Which playboat? 2 years 11 months ago #35571

• bartw
  • Administrator
It is!
Looking at the specs of the Crazy 6.0 and your weight I think you need the 5.9, but I can't find the specs of that one
www.dagger.com/assets/images/uploads/fil...006DaggerCatalog.pdf or playak.com/article.php?sid=1740

Specs of Gforce with simular 5.9 size:
www.daggereurope.com/product/index/produ...g-force/g-force_5-9/

Here you find so a review of the (bigger) Crazy 6.3
playak.com/article.php?sid=1741

I think the Crazy was even better than his follow-up the Agent!

Re: Which playboat? 2 years 11 months ago #35575

• Jitsu
  • Junior Boarder
Hello, if I could ask you one more question, what happens if you get in a kayak that is not in your weight range. E.g so I weigh 88 lbs, what happens if I get in a kayak that the weight range is made for people who weigh between 120 lbs and 180 lbs? Would a dagger crazy 88 be better than a kingpin?

Thanks a lot, jitsu

Re: Which playboat? 2 years 11 months ago #35576

• bartw
  • Administrator
For playboating it is ideal if you are in the middle between the minimum and maximum weight. If your underweight it will be harder to get your payboating-moves done. On the other hand, if you are also riverrunning with a playboat it is better to have more volume around you so a bigger boat would favor you.
If you do both you need to find a good mix. Testing a boat on both disiplines would be the best to do, but you do not always get that oportunity.
Then you have to take some risk when you buy a boat, so don't spend to much money on it if you are not sure.

The Crazy 88 and the Kingpin are both good boats. I liked my Kingpin very much and is still one of my favorite boats. I never kayaked a Crazy 88, but I think it is an improved Kingpin.
On the other hand Dagger produced the Kingpin for a very long time (longer then the Crazy) , which means it is was a popular and very good boat.
With both boats you can't go wrong I think

Re: Which playboat? 2 years 11 months ago #35579

• Jitsu
  • Junior Boarder
Thank you so much for answering my questions! There are 2 boats for sale near me a dagger king pin and a crazy 88 (not sure about sizes) the crazy 88 looks in better condition than the kingpin and is $300 the kingpin looks quite scratched up but is $275 negotiable, I don't know if I should wait for another kayak that is better for river running (if there is) or buy one of those kayaks. I have seen on other reviews that the crazy 88 tends to nose dive a bit so could that be a bit of a worry for river running? I have a white water facility close to where these kayaks are so I might be able to test them in moving water and/or flat water. The kingpin has a little more volume than the crazy 88 so I think that will make it a better river runner.

Anyway, I read these 2 posts.

I have paddled the 88 and the kingpin and I would say that the kingpin is a much better river runner.

This one ⤴️

Yeah i aggree with the Post above, the 88 is much more of a park and play boat that a downriver playboat. However, if you aren't too heavy, it might work out well. I just thought it was too short and pearled too easily.

Based on these posts I am leaning towards a kingpin but might wait until a better condition one is advertised.

But if you think there is a better playboat for river running please tell me.

Thanks a lot bartw, well appreciated.

Sources for posts www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f15/crazy-88...pabilities-7263.html

Re: Which playboat? 2 years 11 months ago #35581

• bartw
  • Administrator
Go for a Kingpin then. If the scratches are not to deep, there is no probl;em. If you have your doubts, wait for another opportunity.

Good luck and have fun

Re: Which playboat? 2 years 11 months ago #35584

• Jitsu
  • Junior Boarder
Thank you so much for replying! You're awesome and very helpful! Much appreciated!

Re: Which playboat? 2 years 11 months ago #35585

• Jitsu
  • Junior Boarder
Hello, would anyone be able to tell me about the bliss stick rad 175? If anyone has experience with it, could they please tell me. Also if you have done any river running with it please also mention that too. Thanks jitsu.

Re: Which playboat? 2 years 11 months ago #35586

• bartw
  • Administrator

Re: Which playboat? 2 years 10 months ago #35589

• Jitsu
  • Junior Boarder
Yes I did see these and they gave me some information which was pretty good, I was just wondering if I could get some more information about it. Did you end up river running your dagger kingpin? I'd you did could you please tell me about it.

Thanks, jitsu

Re: Which playboat? 2 years 10 months ago #35590

• bartw
  • Administrator
Sorry, no riverrunning with my Kingpin.

Re: Which playboat? 2 years 10 months ago #35592

• Jitsu
  • Junior Boarder
That's ok.

Re: Which playboat? 2 years 10 months ago #35609

• hrevo
  • Grom Boarder
I started last year with a project x48 by wavesport. I don't have much experience to give you a hardcore suggestion, but I can say that that boat pointed out every little mistake I made, and I learned some edge control pretty fast. It was pretty fun on class2-easy 3's. Playing was easy, and the boat bounced and bobbed over everything, but it has a nice wide bottom which made it pretty stable when running goofy rapids.

Re: Which playboat? 2 years 10 months ago #35612

• Jitsu
  • Junior Boarder
Ok, thanks for your input. I was considering a wavesport project so that helps a lot.
Time to create page: 0.245 seconds

Sponsors

PalmJK

NRS

See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.