support unicef Support American Whitewater!

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: where can I check the water level for the Upper Lesse please?

where can I check the water level for the Upper Lesse please? 11 years 2 months ago #32832

• rikki rivett
  • Grom Boarder
...and also does anyone know how long it can be paddled (until the fishing season starts..?).

I paddled it years ago and remember it as a nice class 2-3 run. There's a short guide here in German (kann ich auch lesen ;-))

Thanks!!

greetings

RR
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: where can I check the water level for the Upper Lesse please? 11 years 2 months ago #32834

• bartw
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 9
Maybe here (if you undestand a little Dutch ;-)
www.slalom.nl/peil.html

I don't know if it is of the upper Lesse.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rikki rivett

Re: where can I check the water level for the Upper Lesse please? 11 years 2 months ago #32836

• rikki rivett
  • Grom Boarder
thanks...that is a help!!...but I need to know what is a paddleable level, really.

I think I'll try posting in some dutch or belgian paddler forums.

cheers

RR

Re: where can I check the water level for the Upper Lesse please? 11 years 2 months ago #32837

• Tyrr
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello

there is information on kbkv.be

for the rivers behind this link, you have to be a member of the Belgian kayak federation and some other things. Otherwise, the police can pick you off the water and other stuff you won't like. People do call the police in this area if they think you shouldn't be there! (and for most of them, there shouldn't be kayakers at all).

this is a link to the page with links to the different sections on the rules.
this is the link to the law in Dutch. You will have to check the appendix.

some extracts:
you can paddle the lesse on some parts year round:
1.A.2. Deelstroomgebied van de Lesse
de Lesse vanaf de eerste vaste stuwdam van de Lesse te Anseremme tot de samenvloeiing met de Maas te
Anseremme.
--> I think this is the touristic part

between octobre 1st and march 15th, you can paddle more:
1.C.2. Deelstroomgebied van de Lesse
de Lesse vanaf de brug van Barbouillons in Daverdisse tot Chanly
De Lesse vanaf de stuwdam van het watervlak van Han-sur-Lesse tot stroomopwaarts van de brug van Houyet

also interesting is the list with minimal water levels at the end of it. This minimum levels are most off the time really minimal. It should be at least a bit higher for fun paddling!

I would really want to urge you not to paddle the closed parts. The law is that you can't paddle anywere in Wallony. There are some exeptions, but this is not standard, so if people (unknowingly) do illegal things, this might ruin it for everyone everywhere.

Re: where can I check the water level for the Upper Lesse please? 11 years 2 months ago #32839

• rikki rivett
  • Grom Boarder
Tyrr, thanks, that's exactly the information I was looking for! :D Also the kbkv pages are available in German, excellent!

I knew about the October-March season limit (though not the dates). I paddled the Lesse with friends from Germany & Holland several times, but that was over 10 years ago. Always in winter, of course. 10 years ago the Lesse was quite exciting for me- I didn't have so much experience- and it is a beautiful river with some nice rapids, but it's a 3 hour drive so I would only go if everything is right (including a good level).

If it's really essential to be in the Belgian Kayak Federation, then I guess that excludes non-Belgians? I'm in a club in Germany (neat Duesseldorf), maybe our club could make an application?

Thanks again!

RR
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.