[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: RIP Ian Beecroft

RIP Ian Beecroft 11 years 7 months ago #32654

• Jeroen
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 8
This was the note posted on facebook from Dave Manby and Peter Knowles:

Ian Beecroft – sad news.

I am terribly sad to have to tell everyone that our friend Ian Beecroft has died whilst kayaking the Tsrarap Chu in Ladakh, India, on Sunday 2nd September. The limited information that we have is that Ian drowned on the Tsarap Chu downstream of Phugtal Monastery and some 40km from the village and small district centre of Padum. The rest of the team are well and we are told that his body has been recovered and is now being repatriated. We do not know the circumstances of the accident.

Ian was leading a small team of international kayakers on an expedition down the Tsarap Chu and then on through the Grand Canyon of the Zanskar. This is one of the World’s classic long white water rivers expeditions – an 8 day trip 200km with some class 4 and 5 white water, all self supported in one of the most remote and spectacular parts of the Himalayas.

Ian was a vastly experienced white water kayaker – he had paddled many of the major rivers of the Himalayas and was the co-author of the guidebook ‘White Water South Alps’. He shared his love of rivers through this forum under “croft” and many kayakers all over the World will have paddled with him and enjoyed his enthusiasm for life - a life that sadly is no more. We grieve for him and our hearts and thoughts go out to his wife and family.

Dave Manby and Peter Knowles.
Attachments:
If you're happy, you're successful.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: RIP Ian Beecroft 11 years 7 months ago #32655

• Jeroen
  • Administrator
We didn't know each other that well and we only met every couple of years, but whenever we did, I always felt the joy of meeting a true friend. I deeply respect the way he was able to model his life around paddling and give a lot back to the sport.

I've known Ian from my first paddling days in 1995, and when we started Playak late 1996 Ian soon became one of the first contributors and supporters.

Ian's Playak profile: playak.com/user.php?userid=4391

Ian, I'll miss you my friend.
If you're happy, you're successful.

Re: RIP Ian Beecroft 11 years 7 months ago #32669

• AdrianTregoning
Oh yes, I remember him from the forums. Truly terrible news.. :( Jeesh.. My condolences to all who knew him.
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.