Support American Whitewater! Support American Whitewater!

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: optimize kayak weight?

optimize kayak weight? 11 years 7 months ago #32624

• Kajaky
  • Grom Boarder
Hi guys,
i've been kayaking the last 2 weeks now and I simply hate my boats weight. Come to think of it, there must be a possibility to optimize the weight somehow. Got any ideas?

I've already started to rip my outfitting apart.

greetings
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: optimize kayak weight? 11 years 7 months ago #32625

• AdrianTregoning
  • Thank you received: 8
Don't rip the outfitting out. It's important to not only the structural integrity of the boat, but also for your own safety.... My advice ---> harden up mate ;)

Re: optimize kayak weight? 11 years 7 months ago #32628

• Kajaky
  • Grom Boarder
easy to say, but when you're carrying a boat on the shoulder/back about 30 kilogramm (no multiday trip!) then it's kind of a pain in the neck :cursing:
managed to throw out all my carabiners and rolls and tuck them into my pfd. might not be much, but at least it's about 0.3 kilogram less weight.
thinking of carrying one of my throwlines around my waist, should save about 1-2 kilogramm...

what does your boat weigh?

Re: optimize kayak weight? 11 years 7 months ago #32631

• AdrianTregoning
I don't know, depends on what I'm carrying. Depends if it's an overnight, or a quick trip, or if I have a split paddle in as well, and maybe a lunch and first aid kit. There is no such thing as a light boat, some are just lighter than others. I don't complain, I accept it :yes: :comfort:

Re: optimize kayak weight? 11 years 7 months ago #32633

• Kajaky
  • Grom Boarder
AdrianTregoning wrote:
..., or if I have a split paddle in as well, and maybe a lunch and first aid kit.

well, I've got a second throwline in there, as well as some biners.
ok, so since it's not possible to throw out some weight, any advice how to make carrying easier? and getting harder isn't an optio:blah:

Re: optimize kayak weight? 11 years 7 months ago #32634

• AdrianTregoning
A second throw line? I see....

1. Take a pool noodle - cut it in half, then give it a split lengthways with a knife (you need to buy the hollow pool noodles by the way) and you clip this over the rim of the cockpit. Distributes the pressure over a greater area on your shoulder.

2. Buy or make a backpack carrying system. Eg. adrian.playak.com/index.php?option=com_c...=view&id=51&Itemid=5

3. Hardening up is always an option. Gib gas! :woohoo:
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.