support unicef support unicef

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: Knee injury and Kayaking

Knee injury and Kayaking 11 years 8 months ago #32556

• Av3nged
  • Grom Boarder
I have recently suffered a knee injury and my doctor told me to find a new sport to do. So, I was wondering if ww would be for me. I can’t run or jump and kneeling is a bit painful I have full range of motion in my leg now. I would like to know if you think I could do this sport without causing further injury to my leg.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Knee injury and Kayaking 11 years 8 months ago #32561

• Fierin
  • Junior Boarder
hello

Kayaking isnt' a problem with an injured knee. Your knee is in a fixed position and the range of motion isn't that big.

There are a few problems:

- Swimming (If you can't swim without pain or risk to make it worse)
sooner or later you have to swim - especially in white water
- Get to or off the river & scouting
sometimes it's harder to get to the river or scouting rapids with an injured knee than run the rapid :)

It is possbile to walk with crutches to the river - run some rapids - and wait in your boat until a friend brings your crutches.

I would'nt recommend canoeing

cheers
fierin

Re: Knee injury and Kayaking 11 years 8 months ago #32580

• AdrianTregoning
  • Thank you received: 8
The above covered most I'd say :)

But I'd like to add. When I had shoulder surgery the doctor said I would not be able to kayak again... 5 months and 1 day after surgery I kayaked down a decent river and have been ever since. Seems doctors are many times overly pessimistic :sick: Just keep stretching and do exercises and I reckon you'll be good to go :bounce: It took almost 2 years for all the pain to go away - long time. Good luck with the knee and hit some WW!!
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.