Support American Whitewater! Support American Whitewater!

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: Brand new to kayaking, what would you recommend for a used boat for WW/Sea?

Brand new to kayaking, what would you recommend for a used boat for WW/Sea? 11 years 9 months ago #32456

• ctophman
  • Junior Boarder
I am trying to buy a used kayak off of craigslist, and so far I have seen some Necky's on there for reasonably cheap. I am looking to learn how to river run, white water, and surf a little in the ocean. I have seen a Necky Gliss, Mission, and Chronic for around $200-300. Are these good kayaks for the money? Any tips on what to look for instead? I am 150lbs, 5'8". I really would love to get one before summer is here, so any friendly tips and hints would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks everyone! I live in Southern Maine as well, any good spots would be appreciated as well! Haha.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Brand new to kayaking, what would you recommend for a used boat for WW/Sea? 11 years 9 months ago #32458

• AdrianTregoning
  • Thank you received: 8
Necky were good boats, great plastic. I would stay away from the Mission. I found it very edgy, and not a well balanced boat. The Gliss is old but would probably serve you quite well, as would the Chronic.

If you're looking at older boats, maybe see if you can pick up a WaveSport Big EZ, also a good boat. Or something like the Fluid Spice is pretty decent too ;-) I paddled a Spice for a while, had a lot of fun in it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ctophman

Re: Brand new to kayaking, what would you recommend for a used boat for WW/Sea? 11 years 9 months ago #32459

• ctophman
  • Junior Boarder
Well, I am not specifically looking for an older boat, that's just what I come across on craigslist in my area. So stay away from the mission, got it :). There's a guy selling a Pyranah I4 for about $350, he may go down to $300. Should I take a look at that one? I saw a Wavesport BIG EZ, someone said the plastic is soft on that one? Also, there is a Blissstick Flip-stick that comes with a paddle/skirt/helmet/life jacket as well. Is that one too small for river running and white water? I'm just looking for a solid kayak to get into the sport and do a little of everything, I apologize for all the questions! I trust you guys who have been in the sport. Thank you very much :D.

Re: Brand new to kayaking, what would you recommend for a used boat for WW/Sea? 11 years 9 months ago #32460

• AdrianTregoning
I'm not that familiar with the i4. I've never paddled it, but I heard from one person it wasn't too bad at all. I guess that doesn't help you at all...

If the Big EZ is still around now, it'll probably be fine. At stages WaveSport did have plastic issues but I'm sure it'll be good to go. Have a good look at any boat before you buy, also look at where the seat bolts to near the cockpit rim. Any cracks, move along swiftly :)

Might be a good idea to speak to a local shop for more advice.

I'd also say read through this article I wrote (the pictures of the outfitting is outdated but the info is spot on):
adrian.playak.com/index.php/articles-mai...rted-choosing-a-boat

I've tried a Flip-Stick before. It was a good river runner! The only gripe is the outfitting, and on the boat itself it has these pretty designs which look cool, but remove skin off your knuckles....

Any more questions just shoot :)

Re: Brand new to kayaking, what would you recommend for a used boat for WW/Sea? 11 years 9 months ago #32461

• ctophman
  • Junior Boarder
I appreciate your help! I looked up a Fluid Spice, yellow and medium size, there's a guy who wants $550 for his(trying to talk him down a bit), but would that be a best bet for my need?

I want something that can do a little of everything. I know I can't expect, as from your article, to do creek running, white water, and surfing all in one, but just something to open me up to the sport, so I can gradually expand my own knowledge as I get going and meet many different people.

Is the Flip-Stick a good one to learn on, or go with the spice of i4? Ahh, so many to choose from, hehe, I have to make a good investment because money is tight at the moment. If you have paddled the spice a bit, I can try and meet the guy in person and get a feel for it. looks to be in good condition.
Again, I apologize for a flow of questions... hehe.

Re: Brand new to kayaking, what would you recommend for a used boat for WW/Sea? 11 years 9 months ago #32463

• AdrianTregoning
$550 seems a touch steep. Maybe 500 would be better. Or if it's really old and buggered slightly less. But of course I don't know what 2nd hand boats go for in the USA.

The Spice is good. I did a specific review on it here:
adrian.playak.com/index.php/articles-mai...-spice-medium-review

At your weight you will not be able to do much on the flatwater with the Spice. It doesn't like to get vertical. I'm around 190 lbs and could only ever manage about 4 or 5 ends on flatwater with it, using all my power. In a hole, with good technique, you can obviously do it. It's a good river runner though and you'll have a lot of fun in it. And also, don't buy a boat because you can throw it around easily on flatwater. In the rapids you will get caned...

Usually the best advice is to get into a boat and paddle it. But being a beginner you just kind of have to 'trust' the words of someone else. The Flip Stick, being shorter, won't have the speed the Spice has, and if memory serves me the i4 has a little length on it too which is good for running rapids. Tough decision mate. I don't think you can go far wrong with the Spice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ctophman

Re: Brand new to kayaking, what would you recommend for a used boat for WW/Sea? 11 years 9 months ago #32466

• ctophman
  • Junior Boarder
Thank you for the review, I am definitely leaning towards the spice now. It is a very tough decision, many different boats that can do many different things. Would you recommend the Liquid Logic Lil' Joe at all? I was actually recommended that, and out of nowhere, I was watching a GoPro commercial, and saw a kayaker taking his LL creek running, hehe. Since you've down some paddling, though, I'll be working that guy to lower his asking price on the spice. Can't wait...

Re: Brand new to kayaking, what would you recommend for a used boat for WW/Sea? 11 years 9 months ago #32467

• AdrianTregoning
I've never tried the Lil' Joe. Don't forget that a pro can make a bad boat look good :yes: Not saying it's bad, but you get the point I think :bounce:

Yes many excellent boats out there! Good luck, let me know what you get :roflol:

Re: Brand new to kayaking, what would you recommend for a used boat for WW/Sea? 11 years 9 months ago #32469

• ctophman
  • Junior Boarder
Oh most definitely will let you know, I appreciate all your help! Someone threw the offer of a Necky Gliss for $100, good condition. May buy it, and try it to get a feel for things. Otherwise, going after that fluid spice! Should be getting one within the next few days.

Re: Brand new to kayaking, what would you recommend for a used boat for WW/Sea? 11 years 9 months ago #32471

• AdrianTregoning
Good luck!! :bounce:

Re: Brand new to kayaking, what would you recommend for a used boat for WW/Sea? 11 years 9 months ago #32493

• AdrianTregoning
And? :ask:

Re: Brand new to kayaking, what would you recommend for a used boat for WW/Sea? 11 years 9 months ago #32494

• ctophman
  • Junior Boarder
I actually just got the Fluid Spice a few days ago :D. It is the gold/orange version, medium size :). Was in almost perfect condition! Came with a Werner paddle, and Gul Spray skirt. Took it to the ocean, trying to learn some rolls with a few friends. I can honestly say I got some huge gulps of salt-water, hehe. The boat feels awesome to be in, thank you so much for the recommendation!

Re: Brand new to kayaking, what would you recommend for a used boat for WW/Sea? 11 years 9 months ago #32495

• AdrianTregoning
haha!! That's good to hear. :yes: I'm sure you'll have many happy days on the water with it :roflol:
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.