Support American Whitewater! support unicef

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: Surf Problem?

Surf Problem? 17 years 6 months ago #9332

• Ashley
  • Expert Boarder
Hey, I kinda need help with Ocean surfing. Basically, yesterday I was surfing 2.5ft to 4ft waves in the (lovely clean, warm) north sea. When I caught the wave I wanted to catch I'd surf it untill about 5 meters from the beach and the wave would flip me? Yes, just flip me, this also happens at the beginning of a wave at times.

I tried leaning back and it helped get on the wave but not near the beach.

The only thing that stopped waves flipping me near to the beach was to side surf and that got boring after a while. :think:

It was my 3rd time on the sea, any tips on how NOT to flip would be great thanks =D

Ash
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Surf Problem? 17 years 6 months ago #9335

• wwdemon
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Heya! What do U meen \"flip\" ? R U talking about your bow diving' getting caught by water and the boat flipping over the front?
If so - the solution is to edge. Your bow will inevitably catch water from time to time (it is normal). When it does, U shouldn't try to lean back, but put your boat on edge - that will release the bow.
Or just go with it and loop! :)
Enjoy the sea!!!

Re:Surf Problem? 17 years 6 months ago #9337

• Ashley
  • Expert Boarder
Yes that's what I meant =) Bow diving. I never thought to edge.

I don't really think I could loop a 7' 9 kayak for my first loop lol. Worth a try though, if I could loop that I could loop almost anything shorter.

Cheers for the help.

Ash

Re:Surf Problem? 17 years 6 months ago #9345

• Whitewaterules
  • Guru Boarder
Let's start with right of way info. Check out this BCU site:

These are right of way clips:
www.bcusurf.org.uk/row.htm for right of way clips

Okay... now to the nitty gritty.

Getting out past the surf:
First thing's first. When paddling out timing is everything. Typically, waves come in sets; get out between sets. If a wave has already crashed and a foam pile is coming, you MUST get the nose above the foam-pile. Rock the bow up just before the foam pile hits, then as soon as the nose is above the pile, immediately lean forward and paddle like hell. This will bring you to the top of the foam pile, keeping you from getting stuck in a backward-surf. So to recap; clear the nose, then lean forward and paddle like hell.

Catching waves:
Okay so one quick thing about catching a wave; as the wave comes under you, paddle hard and put your boat on edge so the hull cuts into the wave. You will be able to catch waves more easily as you are putting your boat on a track. You should also be heading slightly right or left on the wave. Very important, don't look straight ahead as you surf the wave. Turn your head so you can see where you are on the wave, and then pick a spot where you want to go. Spot your target, lead with your head, and go to it. Be decisive and look at where you want to be. Especially with longer boats, it helps to cut one way or the other to prevent the nose from diving. This helps pull you higher on the wave and prevents the nose from diving under.

Quick Tip:
When trying to turn on a wave use a combination of forward sweep strokes and stern rudders on the opposite side. If you only rudder you will not have the momentum to carry you into the next turn (kind of like planting your pole when you ski).

Last but not least:
If you capsize and you miss your first roll, wait a few second for the water to settle down a bit before you try again. It can be a bit difficult to roll in a foam pile because the water is turbulent in many directions and the water is filled with air, making it less dense and therefore harder to catch tension with the paddle. Feel free to ask more questions if you have any. I hope this helps, let me know how you do.

Saddle-Up,
Whitewaterules

Re:Surf Problem? 17 years 6 months ago #9352

• wwdemon
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Ashley wrote:

I don't really think I could loop a 7' 9 kayak for my first loop lol. Worth a try though, if I could loop that I could loop almost anything shorter.

Cheers for the help.

Ash

Let us all know how goes :lol:
Edging AND looping both...

Re:Surf Problem? 17 years 6 months ago #9357

• Whitewaterules
  • Guru Boarder
wwdemon wrote:
Ashley wrote:

Cheers for the help.

Ash

Let us all know how goes :lol:
Edging AND looping both...

And what was the purpose of that quote? I'm a bit confused, is there something I am missing or are you just showing that you aswered the question already and are somehow trying to reclaim an answer. Sorry I am so blunt, but that's how I roll. Also, like Ashley said, I don't think you could loop an 8 foot kayak on an ocean wave. Do you think you actually could do this?

Re:Surf Problem? 17 years 6 months ago #9374

• Ashley
  • Expert Boarder
Well, we have some rough waves expected for thursday, I might just try it lol. I'm already half the way there.

Also, thank you both for the tips. I'll let you know how it goes.

Ash

Re:Surf Problem? 17 years 6 months ago #9636

• Ashley
  • Expert Boarder
I found this small pic of when I first got my Mr Clean and went on the sea.
My very first bow dive caught on camera lol.

I did try your techniques and edging has stopped my bow diving 90% of the time. The other 10% is on purpose so I can try and loop hehe.

Cheers guys.

Re:Surf Problem? 17 years 6 months ago #9902

• Urge
  • Guru Boarder
try leaning into the wave and making sure that the wave side rail of ou boat is in the wter working dont catch the other side as this is what will flip you very quickly and keep your weight more forward leaning bak aint greatest idea as ur out of balance u cant use ur legs and hips effectivly and it also will catapult you onto your head alot quicker!

Try to surf on the green part of the wave as this will let you carry more speed and get off before you get that close to the beach asonce the waves all broken theres nothing worthwhile surfing so save engery and paddle back out back for ur next wave

have fun
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.