Support American Whitewater! support unicef

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: surfers ear

surfers ear 17 years 11 months ago #5702

• grass_green_submarine
  • Grom Boarder
This subject has probably been done to death before

but what is the best way to prevent surfers ear?

plugs? is there anywhere online that you can purchase good quality ones
The administrator has disabled public write access.

surfers ear 17 years 11 months ago #5703

• Urge
  • Guru Boarder
You try docs pros plus sold at most stores, a skull cap to slow down the cold water entering your ear.

The plugs come in different sizes so will be worth going to a paddle shop for a fitting.

Failing that get some made up by your doctor thse will fit you better than off the shelf.

surfers ear 17 years 11 months ago #5714

• tobias
  • Junior Boarder
I was diagnosed with this and have lost some hearing in my right ear. Since I found out I have it, I have started using Docs Pro Plugs and love them. First, they keep me from worsening. Second, no water gets in my ear...none. I love being able to role all day long and not have water sloshing around in my head. I don't wear nose plugs anymore since getting the ear plugs. And finally, you can still hear with them in. Sound is diminished some, but its better than totally losing one's hearing. Here is a link:

www.proplugs.com/

You will need a sizing chart (you should be able to download one and print it out from the website).

T

surfers ear 17 years 11 months ago #5730

• michielv
  • Guru Boarder
Thanks for this tip. Although I have different ear-problems (somehow the internals get swollen really easily, especially on a windy day, causing temporary loss of hearing. Wearing a skullcap helps but my current earplugs get flushed out too easily). Sounds like these earplugs might be better than what I already use.

BTW: regular off the shelf plugs and a skullcap did help a lot! So even if you can't get tailored plugs, wear regular plugs and a skullcap if you have ear problems.

Just my 2 cents.

surfers ear 17 years 11 months ago #5739

• robmeister
  • Guru Boarder
my ears get infected occasionally and afterward i walways where some silicone putty in my ear for a bit. You can find at rite aid ore someplace like that and they keep my ears completely sealled off. Id say keep them as a back up to the proplugs tho, hear they work really well.

surfers ear 17 years 11 months ago #5740

• Kayaker0678
  • Guru Boarder
alchol not drinking rubbing in your ear will work
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.