Support American Whitewater! Support American Whitewater!

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: surf kayak

surf kayak 16 years 4 days ago #21190

• valierm
  • User is blocked
i'm looking to upgrade from an ocean kayak yak board to a proper surf kayak and i'm thinking of buying a mega maverick.

i'm 178cm and 85kg, is this suitable for me?

also they retail here, australia, for around 700 quid. how much do they go for in uk?

are there other kayaks out there anyone can recommend, bearing in mind that the sport isn't very popular over here and i'm not sure what is available.

thanks

rob
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:surf kayak 16 years 4 days ago #21191

• Urge
  • Guru Boarder
Rob I think you would be better off with the Neutron, mainly due to it being a more stable boat to paddle and the extra volume in the tail helps alot in getting out and on the wave. The Maverick is good on a wave but netourisouly wobbly and difficult to paddle for a first surf kayak. They both retail for around £400 plastic £800 + for composite plus postage and import tax.

You could get a wave ski, then if you capsize you can turn it over and hop back on rather than swim back in empty etc till you get the roll sorted. Airbags in the rear help

Happy surfing

Re:surf kayak 16 years 4 days ago #21196

• AdrianTregoning
  • Thank you received: 8
I tried a Maverick last year, briefly. While it was fast and what not the outfitting is shocking! Not very comfortable at all. And one sits with legs very straight, which (to me) doesn't lead to as much edge control over the boat as comparted to a boat where the seating position is more splayed. (knees sitting wider)

My biased opinion, have a look at the Fluid Element:
adrian.playak.com/index.php?option=com_c...=view&id=82&Itemid=5

I've now tried it out in the ocean (as I've moved recently) and this thing rocks. Not as fast as a traditional surf kayak (but can easily still do big bottom turns and cutbacks) but aerial moves are fully possible whereas the longer, narrower boats are stuck to the surface. MUCH better outfitting and the knees sit wider, which gives me more control and isn't such a big jump going from a normal play boat to something like the Element. You'll only know if you try. You've got nothing to lose by trying one out.. Good luck.

Re:surf kayak 16 years 3 days ago #21218

• valierm
  • User is blocked
thanks for that, still not sure though.....can i get those kayaks here, i'm not sure i can? australian websites are terrible, like searching for a needle in a haystack.

i'll try the neutron and the maverick as they are both manufactured out here.

are they really as unstable as you say, i have done some canoeing before and once upon a time could eskimo roll.

any more suggestions welcome.

Re:surf kayak 16 years 3 days ago #21225

• AdrianTregoning
Check out this page:
www.fluidkayaks.co.za/Dealers_Australasia.htm

They will be able to help you out.

All surf kayaks are unstable. This is because they have very little tail rocker, and their aggressive edges are underwater when you're just bobbing around, adding to the problem. But you'll get used to it very quickly. It's really not an issue. The Element is quite easy to balance in comparison to some other boats, so I'm told.. :cheer:

Re:surf kayak 16 years 2 days ago #21253

• valierm
  • User is blocked
sorry to pester, any idea where i can read a review of it? seen some of the vids on you tube and it looks more fun than the more conventional mega kayaks. Just wondering if its worth trying both, my inpatience is getting the better of me with 3 hours drive between me and the nearest dealer of either - 12 hours driving to test 2 kayaks. but thats australia for you!

Re:surf kayak 16 years 1 day ago #21258

• AdrianTregoning
Sorry, no reviews, I haven't written one yet and don't know of anyone who has. Haven't spent enough time in it to give something decent. Worth a try though. I'm sure you will be quite satisfied. Unless you're the type of person who would surf a long board over a short board.. :)

Re:surf kayak 16 years 4 hours ago #21275

• valierm
  • User is blocked
been to wetspot in canberra today and bought one, it arrives wednesday, can't wait.

now just need to sort the roll, any tips on here anywhere?

Re:surf kayak 16 years 3 hours ago #21276

• AdrianTregoning
Ah nice one. What colour did you get? :cheer:

There are some threads in the technique forum, check them out. In desperation, before I moved to the ocean, I had to test out the Element in my pool. There are two rolls there. If you want them in slow motion I can mail it to you. Just shout. Check it out:
playak.tv/view_video.php?viewkey=8879c34f91ca0070ea2f

Be very aggressive with your hip snap. Let us know how it goes with the new boat! :laugh:

Re:surf kayak 15 years 11 months ago #21281

• valierm
  • User is blocked
white, uber cool.

saw that vid, last time i was in a sit in kayak was 15 years ago......could roll then, but you never know.
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.