Support American Whitewater! support unicef

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: recommended boat? 6ft, 190lbs, ocean surf, ww

recommended boat? 6ft, 190lbs, ocean surf, ww 17 years 2 months ago #13247

• biffymaroon
  • Grom Boarder
I'm relatively new to whitewater (12 trips) but a strong paddler and living on the ocean. I want to surf the big waves mostly, but have a boat that's also decent for whitewater and flatwater. Can anyone recommend a kayak for me?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:recommended boat? 6ft, 190lbs, ocean surf, ww 17 years 2 months ago #13253

• robmeister
  • Guru Boarder
when you say flatwater, what do you mean? do you mean recreation trips across a lake or a boat that can flatwater carthweel and floop?

Re:recommended boat? 6ft, 190lbs, ocean surf, ww 17 years 2 months ago #13255

• Kayaker0678
  • Guru Boarder
Check out the Dagger Approch and the Enduro

edit: When he said flatwater I assumed he ment no whitewater rivers just floating down the river.

Re:recommended boat? 6ft, 190lbs, ocean surf, ww 17 years 2 months ago #13257

• Urge
  • Guru Boarder
For surfing big waves I think the Approach will be out of its class. try the longer river running playboats around 220 or above anything shorter will be too slow for the waves and general pottering about! could consider

X
Z
EZ series
Inazones
S8
Glide
Session
centrafuge
id
etc my head hurts too much work on my dissatation not enough paddling :(
Im off to pub to recoperate

Re:recommended boat? 6ft, 190lbs, ocean surf, ww 17 years 2 months ago #13258

• Dustyw
  • Grom Boarder
try a dagger juice.....my friends got one and its really fast on a wave and realtively high volume, 60 gallons i think so running rivers would be fine and you could do some playing in holes on the way down the river:D

Re:recommended boat? 6ft, 190lbs, ocean surf, ww 17 years 2 months ago #13285

• robmeister
  • Guru Boarder
heard the riot tekno is supposed to be great for ocean waves, if not he most freinly boat on the water.

Re:recommended boat? 6ft, 190lbs, ocean surf, ww 17 years 2 months ago #13299

• michielv
  • Guru Boarder
The Riot Tekno is a lot of fun but pretty nose heavy if you'r etall with long legs. Also it tends to bury its nose a lot so you need to carve.

The Fluid Flirt is supposed to be pretty good on ocean waves as well but that's only hearsay (albeit from someone who has been in a Flirt in the surf a lot). I can say for sure the Flirt is a lot of fun on the flat (if you're cartwheeling and flooping).

Anyway, it also depends on what you want to do on the ocean waves: if you're into akayk surfing (like board surfing) forget about most white water boats as they are too slow. A surfkayak will be a lot better. For instance the Mega Maruder (new version) is a pretty friendly boat suitable for tall people. I used to paddle one myself.

If you're into freestyle stuff, a more play-oriented boat could be what you're after. Urge gave a pretty decent list, I'd like to add the Necky Gliss to that as well.

Re:recommended boat? 6ft, 190lbs, ocean surf, ww 17 years 1 month ago #13680

• BenFraser
  • Junior Boarder
Try a Necky Orbitfish Its faster than almost all of the small playboats and has lots of leg room for us tall fellas. Make sure you try lowering the seat if the one you try has the new light gray foam seat and feels retardedly edgy/tippy. Also get as far forward as possible.

To see the Orbitfish in action click this link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAuEUTcMw14

Later
Ben
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.