support unicef Support American Whitewater!

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: jet-ski surfing

jet-ski surfing 17 years 2 months ago #12552

• Batayak
  • Gold Boarder
Anybody know how its done? some places I've seen make it look like you actually just get towed behind the jet ski, but others make it look like you just have the jet-ski drive by and surf its wake. Here's what the 2006 wavesportcatalog says: \"Big waves are ephemeral, but jet-ski and lake are consistently available. Dan Blackburn works on techniwue and style at 30 mph., accurately simulating the big wave bounce.\" There are several pictures of this, and in none of them are they holding tow ropes.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:jet-ski surfing 17 years 2 months ago #12553

• AdrianTregoning
  • Thank you received: 8
The power of the wake of the jet ski is too small. They are holding onto the rope. They'll carve out and then hard in to build speed, and as they cross the wake, let go of the rope and do whatever aerial move fancies them. Good fun. Try it. :yes:

Re:jet-ski surfing 17 years 2 months ago #12590

• Batayak
  • Gold Boarder
that's what I was thinking, but wouldn't it be really easy to dislocate your shoulder if you flip, or lose your paddle or are there ways of avoiding that?

Re:jet-ski surfing 17 years 2 months ago #12592

• AdrianTregoning
  • Thank you received: 8
Batayak wrote:
that's what I was thinking, but wouldn't it be really easy to dislocate your shoulder if you flip, or lose your paddle or are there ways of avoiding that?

No, not really a problem with proper technique. Most people don't use paddles. Only bare hands on the ski-rope handle. The paddle will only complicate matters. All one needs is the speed and possibly a small wake to get air. But speed alone will work. :D

Re:jet-ski surfing 17 years 2 months ago #12618

• Batayak
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks for the help. I should hopefully have a chance to try it out pretty soon.

Re:jet-ski surfing 17 years 2 months ago #12624

• M0nkeymann
  • Gold Boarder
You may want to check this vid to realise what they are on about. (looks fun)

Jet Ski Vid

Re:jet-ski surfing 17 years 2 months ago #12629

• Kicks
  • Gold Boarder
Thats pretty cool :)

Re:jet-ski surfing 17 years 2 months ago #12952

• WILLEM
  • Junior Boarder
I`ve tried it earlier this year, just holding on to the ski rope, like knee bording. at slow speed it is very difficult to plane, and when you get op to speed I start bouncing, each time higher and higher till.....
Hope somebody have a better technique.

Re:jet-ski surfing 17 years 2 months ago #12964

• orky
  • Grom Boarder
i got towed behind a wake boardin boat during the summer lead to some funny and painful carnage but also some nice air.be warned if ur gona do it its gona hurt da first couple of rides
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.