Support American Whitewater! Support American Whitewater!

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: Birtie Boating in Bigbury (Surf Comp Write Up)

Birtie Boating in Bigbury (Surf Comp Write Up) 17 years 3 months ago #12157

• stoneweasel
  • Gold Boarder
Written By Bertie
Surf Kayak Comp, Bigbury, Sat 6th

Around about 12 years ago I competed in a couple of waveski surfing competitions, and to be honest, I didn’t really enjoy them so didn’t continue to compete. I found that I didn’t enjoy the competitive nature of these events, and I couldn’t switch on quick enough to deliver the goods in the 20 minute heats, preferring to enjoy my surfing at a leisurely pace. I became a kayaking soul-surfer, preferring to just get on with it and ignore the competitive aspect of the sport. That said, I didn’t just sit still, I moved from waveskis to kayaks, became a BCU Level 4 surf kayak coach, and have helped introduced many kayakers to the subtle art of kayak surfing. I just didn’t do competition.

Just before xmas, a post was placed on the UKRiversGuideBook forum that the BCU were going to run a ‘fun’ competition within a couple of hours from my house, there was some interest from various people I knew, and various members of the forum who I hadn’t met were going to be there, so I thought why not?

Around 9am, on Saturday 6th January, Neal Burton, also from Weymouth, and I arrived at the venue ready for signing up. There were a number of people milling around, some of whom I knew from previous encounters, some of whom I recognised because of stuff I’d seen on the net, and others who I didn’t know. Probably about 20 or so of us signed up, and not having competed before I signed up for both the novice and the open competition. A few others came over and introduced themselves as fellow novices, and friendly banter between us all ensued.

Heats were quickly arranged, and the comp kicked off around 10.30’ish, however I decided a bacon sandwich was in order so wandered off, lost track of the time and ended up rushing to get changed, haul myself and my boat down to the water and paddle out when my time came to compete!

Paddling out in my first heat, in the open competition, I knew I didn’t stand any chance of doing well. Not only had the excesses of xmas taken its toll on my health and fitness, but I was up against Steve Bowens, one of the big names, and Ed Long, who I knew from his days at Weymouth Outdoor Education Centre. I knew nothing about the fourth and final competitor in my heat, but hoped that I could at least beat him - or rather not come last!.

Boy, did I work hard in the 15 minutes the heat lasted trying to get the waves I needed. I felt pleased with two of the waves I had, but couldn’t bring it together to get a third decent wave – my best three were going to count. I came off the water, exhausted, and way to hot in my winter 5mm steamer that I use for long winter sessions. I now realised why the others were dressed lighter than I was. But it was worth it, I’d achieved my aim and wasn’t last. I’d got through to my next heat.

My second heat, was an absolute disaster! On my first decent wave, I got caught out in the shore break and wiped out. Whilst rolling up, I aggravated a snowboarding back injury, my deck imploded, and I was later to discover I’d cracked the gelcoat on my surf kayak – possibly head butting it. I wasn’t expecting to get through this heat, so decided it was time to retire..

Each competitor took turns judging other heats, so I spent the rest of the day helping out with this, and supporting Neal who was doing very well. Judging was great fun, it was all very informal and light-hearted, sometimes with a sadistic nature when watching over people get wiped out or stuck inside. It makes you wonder what the judges were thinking when I was on the water, but I’m not sure I really want to know.

I’d lost track of who was competing by the end of the event, people simply became ‘the one in the red/blue/black/white bib’, but it was great watching some of the big names show their stuff.

I really enjoyed the whole day - it was a fun, light-hearted event, I got to catch up with various friends I hadn’t seen for a while, and meet a few new ones. Travelling to a new venue, and watching other surf kayakers in action, has given me some food for thought on how to improve my surfing (starting with competitive fitness). I’m not going to become a competition junkie, but I reckon I could be turning up at a few others this year.

My thanks to Bertie for an excellent report of an excellent day, I hope to see as many of you as possible at the next one!

Denzil

P.S. Results from the day can be found HERE
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.