Support American Whitewater! Support American Whitewater!

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: Surf Flip

Surf Flip 17 years 4 months ago #11067

• Jeroen
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 8
Look at the first move in this video. Is this possible in a kayak too? I don't think I've ever seen this done in a kayak:

youtube.com/watch?v=iJyvvQ60ArU

I hope it's not a very normal move and I'd have to apologize for my ignorance :)
If you're happy, you're successful.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Surf Flip 17 years 4 months ago #11068

• AdrianTregoning
I have seen Neil Stevenson do this move many times on a paddle ski. Pretty sure you can do it on a kayak too. For those that don't know who he is, Neil was attacked by a great white shark near Keurbooms beach while body boarding. He lost his one leg and the other got pretty hammered too. At the time he was number two in the world. He has taken up paddling and I believe is one of the top paddlers in the world. I do stand under correction. He lives in Plettenberg Bay.

But in any case. It is possible on a paddle ski and i'm sure can and probably has been done many times in a kayak. Called a barrel roll. I'll try video one this December holiday when I'm down there..

Re:Surf Flip 17 years 4 months ago #11069

• Jeroen
  • Administrator
i thought a barrel roll was something you would do 'in the barrel'. this guy flies off the lip and lands in the wave again. not quite the same i think...
If you're happy, you're successful.

Re:Surf Flip 17 years 4 months ago #11071

• AdrianTregoning
Trust me it's the same. Check out a bodyboarding site...

wehow.ehow.com/how_2003435_bodyboard-do-rollo.html

Not that tough to do. I have managed a couple of decent ones on a bodyboard. Timing is is the tough part though. On a kayak I'm sure it would be pretty tough.

There are no moves INSIDE the barrel as such on any craft (surfing, bodyboarding, kayaking). All about hitting the lip just forward of the barrel.

Re:Surf Flip 17 years 4 months ago #11073

• Ashley
  • Expert Boarder
It does look like a barrel roll off the lip. From a kayak it would be a 'not so simple' 360 degree aerial!

Ash

Re:Surf Flip 17 years 4 months ago #11074

• wwdemon
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I've seen it done with a surfkayak (some videos), and there is some article on this very site on surfkayaking, check out the pic:

looks to me like a barrel roll of the lip... :ask:
Anyway, doing it with a playboat... - seems to me that the hardest part would be getting up to the lip with enough speed... Don't see it hapenning, not of the lip at least.
But then again, who am I? :notworthy:
Attachments:

Re:Surf Flip 17 years 4 months ago #11078

• wwdemon
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Found this video - there are a few barrel rolls in it, one just at the beginning.
And it's a really cool video. Makes me want to try surfkayaking! :clap:

Check it out:
broadbandsports.com/node/2057

Re:Surf Flip 17 years 3 months ago #11871

• stoneweasel
  • Gold Boarder
I have to disagree with a lot that has been said in this thread. The move being thrown by the boardie is not a barrel roll (or a cali roll, air screw, donky flip etc.) it is an ally oop that he takes slightly over vertical (credit due, that is a sweet move). I have never even seen someone pull an ally oop in a kayak at all and definitely not an over vertical one, hell I have never even seen a ski paddler pull one.

Also I don't think the second video posted had any real example of a surf kayak barrel roll either as they were all done as a collapse down the face of a wave end move (and lots of them were actually crab rolls, karate chops etc.). These however have been being pulled by some of the top ski guys for years and are now being pulled by some of the top surf paddlers (James Hawker and Darren Basson can do them) but I have never seen o good one caught on film.

Denzil

Re:Surf Flip 17 years 3 months ago #11872

• Majestik_Moose
  • Pro Boarder
If it helps clear anything up.. barrel rolls on a body board are not done off the lip of a wave. You just pick up as much speed as you can and try and throw on on a bounce.

Re:Surf Flip 17 years 3 months ago #11875

• stoneweasel
  • Gold Boarder
Majestik_Moose wrote:
If it helps clear anything up.. barrel rolls on a body board are not done off the lip of a wave. You just pick up as much speed as you can and try and throw on on a bounce.

I am afraid I am going to argue with you as well oh moosey one. In bodyboarding a barrel roll can be bounced into or carved into much like a blunt in kayaking. In fact learning to throw big barrel rolls from the lip is an important step in moving towards the ARS!

Denzil

Re:Surf Flip 17 years 3 months ago #11885

• neilnt
  • Gold Boarder
A \"Barrel roll\" is however the best way to get the beer into the cellar of your local Pub. ;)

Re:Surf Flip 17 years 3 months ago #11977

• AdrianTregoning
Majestik_Moose wrote:

I disagree. Go to any popular surf spot and you'll see guys doing barrel rolls, off the lip of the wave, as they should be done.
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.