support unicef Support American Whitewater!

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: Need advice on which Sea kayak to buy

Need advice on which Sea kayak to buy 14 years 4 months ago #28420

Over the pass couple of years i have been using club boats for the various sea kayaking trips(mainly dagger cortez 16.5) including some races. Being a river runner i really didnt expect to get into sea kayaking but I have found it more appealling of late so have concluded that a purchase is the only answer.

I am 102Kg, interested in stability with a bit of speed, consider myself an intermediate paddler.

then I started to get into the detail:

1) Have reservations about a composite boat as it seem to me to be less practical for day to day use
2) I like to the idea of being able to move around easiy and have some speed
3) then there is the question of a rudder or a skeg!

of course i dont want to pay a fortune eiher!##

Any straight forward answers or is it all a matter of taste?

I intend to try a couple of boats out, but could do with some objecitve advice beforre i head to the shop

thanks in advance:laugh:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Need advice on which Sea kayak to buy 14 years 4 months ago #28423

• TBudd
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Some of this also depends on which brands you can get by you/where you live. But you are correct that composite boats are very expensive and not nearly as durable as poly/plastic boats (which as you know are heavier). I have had periods in my kayaking life wherein I sea kayaked a couple of times per week and a composite boat would require more care and maintenance than you'd want to give. You want a boat that you can just pop on the car top and go and at the end of the day spray her down. Limit the obstacles.

*A really good compromise is one of the ABS boats. I have a Hurricane Tracer--they call their ABS 'trylon' but whatever the name it is really highly polished PVC-like plastic. It's is slick, light weight and durable (I've had mine for 2 years of hard and frequent use and it still looks outstanding). Staying slick also means it is going to keep it's speed (when I sea kayak I don't like paddling sandpaper).

My sea kayak has a skeg and I prefer that. I have a racing kayak that has a rudder and I understand why that is so--in a race you don't want to expend energy with correction strokes; it's all about getting their first. But I am a very firm believer in learning how to steer and stay on course and handle your boat through interaction with the hull. A skeg is the way to go as when you really need it (say in a following sea), it keeps you locked on course, but it stays out of your way otherwise and allows you to tap into the maneuverability of the boat (depends on which one you get of course). My preferences anyway.

Sea kayaking is a whole different experience and I congratulate you--it is another form of kayaking that is good to have in your life.

Re:Need advice on which Sea kayak to buy 14 years 4 months ago #28424

• Jeroen
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 8
I think Greg also meant this post as an answer to you.
playak.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&I...d=107&id=28421#28421
If you're happy, you're successful.

Re:Need advice on which Sea kayak to buy 14 years 4 months ago #28427

Thanks for this Jeron - i had a look at Gregs advice, both Tbud and Gregs advice very constructive or "sound" as the cork men say!

Will have a look at the boats as well - any other suggestions re boats I should try out? I intend to go on a kayaking testing bender.

Thanks

Re:Need advice on which Sea kayak to buy 14 years 4 months ago #28428

• TBudd
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
What brands are available to you there?

It does sound like you are not totally new to sea kayaking, so I am assuming you have a basic understanding of 'initial' versus 'secondary' stability.

How tall are you? *And what will you be using it for? Racing how often? Daily paddles or some long-distance touring? All these things weigh in. At 102 kg you are going to want to look at an 18 footer I would think.

Re:Need advice on which Sea kayak to buy 14 years 4 months ago #28442

i am 6'2''/180cm? The races are for the joy of finishing mainly with a hint of competitiveness thrown in!
3/4 big races per season over 15 to 20 miles sea kayaking ignoring whitewater.

I try to paddle 3 times a week but this drops off considerably during the winter. I have never done the touring bit but have the idea of getting out on longer trips in the future - some follow "Vet" local paddlers are on for the challenge. Overall I would be on the river far more than on the sea although I would like to change this. Both are very accessable to me so I hasve no excuse!

Regarding stability, I am interested in open water and therefore would be interested in overall stability rather than just initial stability - the boat i used most from the club is the dagger cortez which would have a narrow enough width and a fairly rounded hull - at least from my limited experience.

:side:I would feel that I am an "improver"/intermediate in the sea kayaking learning curve cycle, if there is such a thing, and quite content to be enjoying being on the water with limited ambitions other than that.

Re:Need advice on which Sea kayak to buy 14 years 4 months ago #28466

I have now begun to narrow down what i am looking at and would appreciate views. I have the view i need to stay away from the composites due to the treatment i am sure i will be handing out to them. So any view on:

1) the P&H Capella 166

2) the Necky Chatham 17

3) the Point 65 Sea Cruiser

thanks in advance

d:silly:

Re:Need advice on which Sea kayak to buy 14 years 3 months ago #28535

• Ilqa
  • Junior Boarder
I have been paddling a P&H Capella 166. It is a very nice boat. Stable ans easy to manouver. The outfitting is very nice. The skeg is allright. It is kinf of stiff, but also almost unbreakable.

Another boat in this category which I really like is Valley Aquanaut HV. Actually this is my favorite boat. It is also the boat i have paddled the most, so it might have something to do with that.

I reccomend you demo all the boats if possible. As in white water boats, it is pretty personal what suits you best.

I weigh around 95-98 kgs, so you should fit well in these boats.

I don't have any experience with Necky or Point 65.

-Ilkka

Re:Need advice on which Sea kayak to buy 14 years 1 month ago #29146

Have been busy - thought I had a decision made as i got to try a Whisky 18 and found it brill but when i return to the shop the follow ing day the boat was sold - it was used but a very good deal.

The capella 166 with rudder looks hot to win with a sea rover also a possibility (I have never tried this boat hence the delay but it is being recommended as fast, good in rough water but not good to manouver

comments welcome

Re:Need advice on which Sea kayak to buy 13 years 11 months ago #29485

• TechnoEngineer
  • Grom Boarder
A Capella should be good (although it wasn't for me as the recessed fitting interfered with my knees). I am 6'5" 120kg.

Others you might want to try:
Point 65N 5-0-5 (not tried myself)
P&H Scorpio (fast)
Wilderness Systems Zephyr (reasonably fast, dead easy to turn, bags of secondary stability, would be my choice of sea-play-boat)

Viv-a-vis rudders and skegs, I prefer skegs (rudder controls are usually cr@p), although you can use a rudder like a skeg (i.e. just have it centred and drop it in to adjust windcocking). Boats with little rocker tend to have rudders, and those with lots of rocker tend to have skegs (rudders wouldn't work on them as they'd be out of the water!).
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.