Support American Whitewater! support unicef

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: help kit me out please

help kit me out please 15 years 10 months ago #21764

• mouse
  • Junior Boarder
Iv only got size 35-36 feet (3 uk) and my hands are just as small im considering what foot wear to get to paddle in as there isn't space in the kids sized boats that iv tryed for normal trainers any sugestions?
iv got some sailing gloves that fit and are warm but iv been told that i souldn't wear gloves to paddle in why is this?

im looking at the dagger gt, robson suppersonic which one sould i get iv just started to learn to roll and im 55kg the suppersonics limit is 60kg which worries me a bit but it fits sungly and felt good on flat water, i do want to learn to play boat and surf its half the price of the gt which felt big and comes much higher up my wast which i dont like. any ideas the buget is £600 for boat, skirt and new boyancy aid (the later is not a big issue) cag top would be nice to but im pushing my luck on that. Am i wright in thinking that dagger do a lower cost version of the gt? is it the same hull with cheper fitings?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:help kit me out please 15 years 10 months ago #21768

• batman100
  • Gold Boarder
just go to whitewater: the canoe centre in shepperton, they have a range of stuff and can definetly order shoes and kit in small sizes.

their web address is wwtcc.com they are excellent, i highly recommend them.

Re:help kit me out please 15 years 10 months ago #21769

• Laddie
  • Guru Boarder
Footware is an easy fix... I wear small, slip on shoes in my playboat. Chacos for creeking

Skip gloves and if necessary go with pogies

Id push you towards a river boat as you can take them everywhere... check out your local shop etc

post back with a short list and Ill help you fromthere

good luck :laugh:

Re:help kit me out please 15 years 10 months ago #21933

• lilmisshappy
  • Junior Boarder
Im also size 3 in footwear+actually found it really hard to get a good pair of river shoes. if you just want wet suit boots you can get these in kids size. however if your running rivers+hence standing on rocks etc you want something with a better sole..i settled with hi-tech river trekking shoes which i got in a camping shop...they fit;-) +have a good carbon sole so i dont slip all over the place on river banks.

Im not a fan of the gt boats...+would suggest trying out few other boats, prehaps a local kayaking club/local kayaking websites could help you out by checking out second hand boats..i.e. most people wont mind you taking a boat for a demo. I say this because when i started i tried only a couple..took the best of the 2...and later realised that there was way better boats out there 4 me.

As for gloves.. i think its a person preference, if you feel happy with your grip on the paddle when you are wearing gloves there is no definite 'no you shouldn wear gloves'. I would try not wearing gloves at all+as laddie says try pogies+which ever you feel must comfortable with!!

Just my ideas, good luck ;-)

Re:help kit me out please 15 years 7 months ago #22781

• Urge
  • Guru Boarder
If you fit in the Supersonic, then you would probably fit the GTS better, however as you said you would like to get in to playboating it could be worth trying, Classic Star, Dagger Gforce5.9. O know a few ladies who paddle the Supersonic without a problem and can spin cartwheel happily + its light and cheap. Could be worth dropping in to Berkshire Canoes which is quite close to Windsor.

Re:help kit me out please 15 years 7 months ago #22785

• Urge
  • Guru Boarder
Yes Dagger do a cheaper outfitting version in their Action range which comes in £100 less, which would give you some more money towards a new buoyancy aid spray deck etc. So the Robson is still cheaper buy some foam pad it out and you still get more money left over for kit.

At the end of the day go for whatever YOU find more comfortable. I wouldn't worry to much if you are closer to the top of the weight range, you will find it easier to throw about for playboating

Re:help kit me out please 15 years 7 months ago #22809

• cjcc
  • Guru Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
The weight range is just a suggestion, so it all depends on your paddling style. If you like to sit low in the water, you want to be at the top of the weight range, and vice versa. The Supersonic is way too long compared to today's playboats. Also, look at the Fluid Spice S, Jackson 2Fun, etc.

Re:help kit me out please 15 years 6 months ago #23534

• Urge
  • Guru Boarder
Robson Super Sonic is Tiny and a very good play boat for smaller paddlers. I believe you are thinking of the Perception sonic and Super Sonic

Re:help kit me out please 15 years 6 months ago #23536

• cjcc
  • Guru Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
According to your link, the Super Sonic is 7' 2", which is pretty long in today's world of playboats. If you want a Robson, you would probably be better off with a Twintip. To give some comparison on the Supersonic's length, the Pyranha Attak, 10 years older than the Supersonic, is actually 2" shorter. The Liquid Logic CR80 or the Wave Sport Fuse 35 would be good options, as long as there aren't too many spots to dent the Fuse.

Re:help kit me out please 15 years 5 months ago #23864

• Ollie82
  • Grom Boarder
as for kit:
i have size 3/4 feet and i found that DECATHLON make excellent shoes
and also they make the same designs in kids sizes so u can get them cheap!
with hands, gloves really just make your hands colder because once they get wet you lose all grip on the paddle and so end up getting wetter from the loss of control.....
go for pogies/paddle mits
palm paddle mits are a really good buy
your hands will never be toasty but they do pretty well...
if you are wondering about boats go to desperate-measures.com and ask to talk to someone
they are very happy to help and know what theyr talking about!
and mayb instead of buying lots of cheap things lots of times you could save up a bit and buy some really good stuff, then you wont have to replace it so soon!

Re:help kit me out please 15 years 5 months ago #23869

• Saz
  • Gold Boarder
have you bought a helmet yet? Dont go cheap on the helmet. Ive had this debate with many people and in the end went for a sweet strutter . How much do you value your head?:unsure:
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.