support unicef support unicef

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: Newbie Boat Choice (UK)

Newbie Boat Choice (UK) 12 years 8 months ago #31587

• simonB
  • Grom Boarder
The good girl and myself are looking to get kayaks.

Ok, so the definite facts are that we're not going to be riding the rapids or doing anything too gung-ho. This is mainly for cruising and exploring at a gentle pace.

We go camping in the UK and would just like to be able to explore the water a bit.
We both like drifting/cruising and taking in the surroundings, I like photography and would appreciate the reassurance of not tipping my not too cheap gear in the pond!.

Main problem I have in deciding on a K, is the issue of flatwater vs sea.
I can't see us going far offshore, more paddling about near the shoreline on calmer days.

This year, for example, we 'might' be going to the lake district, or we 'might' be going to Cornwall, or even Scotland.

So some kind of 'versitile' craft is desired.

So far, my research has led me to :
> Blackwater
> Approach
> Item picture
> FeelFree X-Press
> at the budget end, maybe the fiesta just to get us started.
(likely this will be a 2nd hand buy!)

I'm looking at length, and tbh, 3.5m still seems large to me and I'm wondering where I'm going to store it!
Yet I could not stand camping with a sea view and having boats we daren't go out in.

Ompf ... you see... all confusicated !

Any suggestions, recommendations, thought ... fire them in.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Newbie Boat Choice (UK) 12 years 8 months ago #31599

• andyskips
  • Junior Boarder
Hi simon,
I would recomend for you a sit on top kayak.
They are great to learn on. I spent my first few years with an "ocean kayak - yak board" just search that for more info. Sit on tops are much safer than sit in kayaks for learners, as they are generally more stable. You also have much more room to move around.
Sit on-tops are colder than sit-in kayaks, so geting out through the breaking waves may be more difficult and painful, particularly in Scotland.
I would also suggest keeping your valuables in a waterproof bag, tied to the boat. These are not too expensive and surprisingly effective.

Hope this helps, and happy paddling!
Andy

Re: Newbie Boat Choice (UK) 12 years 8 months ago #31614

• Beaver4
  • Grom Boarder
Hi there Simon
mate I'm going to have to disagree with Andy. This is where we get into the sit-in fans and the sit-on fans. For me, its sit-in for sure.
I went through what you are doing now about 12 months ago. Like you I am a bit of a photographer, not a fan of going out into the open water, love flat water river systems and take my wife out on shorter 1 or 2 hour trips.
So I bought a couple of plastic 2.8 metre kayaks. These have been a perfect introduction to kayaking, but I now need something longer and better through the water.
The problem with my current kayak as far as photography is concerned, is that when you stop paddling, because they are so short, they twist in the water. The longer the kayak, the straighter it will stay. If you are shooting birds or wildlife and you need to glide quietly toward your subject, you will definately need something longer and preferably with a rudder or skeg. Something I had to find out the hard way. Also, anything under about 60cm in width can be a bit tippy. So try and keep over that, 65cm is ideal.
So as we sound similar in what we are looking for, I would recommend you look for a hardy, plastic moulded, 3.5 to 4 metre sit-in kayak, with rudder. Some even have a handy little storage hold right in front of you for your camera.

Good luck mate

Re: Newbie Boat Choice (UK) 12 years 5 months ago #31918

• waveskirider
  • Grom Boarder
get a waveski and go nuts greetings
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.