support unicef support unicef

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: Savage kayaks - Where are they now?

Savage kayaks - Where are they now? 14 years 6 months ago #28061

• BIG_GINGA_BEARD
  • Gold Boarder
Have seen a couple for sale on fleabay and remembered them from a few years ago(maybe 6/7yrs really) There were quite a few on the water then, having been away and returned to the sport i just wondered if any1 knows what happened to them? there isnt a website either.

Dont know if they were available overseas???

Anyone got an idea what happened to them? :unsure:

Matt
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Savage kayaks - Where are they now? 14 years 6 months ago #28062

• scottyr
  • Guru Boarder
Savage kayaks closed down and became Riot Kayaks, i think or something to that effect. Corran Addison would be the ideal person to fill this in.

Re:Savage kayaks - Where are they now? 14 years 6 months ago #28063

• AdrianTregoning
  • Thank you received: 8
Seems he did co-found in 1994, didn't know that. Second paragraph:

www.paddlermagazine.com/issues/1998_6/corran.html

Re:Savage kayaks - Where are they now? 14 years 6 months ago #28064

• BIG_GINGA_BEARD
  • Gold Boarder
Having just read that article about Corran i suppose he would be the best person to ask. Although the article dosent say what happened to savage, it just goes on to say that Corran and jeff formed Riot in 95. I had no idea savage were related riot.

But that aside that was a very informative article about a man i didnt know that much about. I knew or had heard about the batman suit waterfall record. Providing there is an element of truth to it.

So without dragging up the Riot thread that got a little heated(understandably so) We could assume that savage ceased to exist when Riot was formed??? :unsure:

Either way there not making boats anymore?

Cheers

Matt

Re:Savage kayaks - Where are they now? 14 years 6 months ago #28065

• corran
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Hey guys

I left Savage in 1996 and formed Riot in 1997 with Jeff. Savage went on for a few more years making aome new models before finally closing thier doors in about 1999 or 2000 I think.

A company in Quebec called Rotoplast bought the Fury, Scorpion and Gravity molds and still make them today! www.rotoplast.qc.ca/fr/kayaks/gravity.html

Corran

Re:Savage kayaks - Where are they now? 14 years 6 months ago #28066

• BIG_GINGA_BEARD
  • Gold Boarder
Hey Corran

Thanks for sharing. Just read my last post, it dosent read right to me.

"Providing there is an element of truth to it."

For the record i dont mean the batman/waterfall thing, i mean the article. lol :) I read it and it sounded like i was being a dick.

Anyway, Did savage make a C1? Im sure i remember seeing 1 on the tryweryn a long time ago?

And the picture in your post, thats the fury right? The one where the ends are wider than the middle?

Matt :unsure:

Re:Savage kayaks - Where are they now? 14 years 6 months ago #28068

• TBudd
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Those are COOL boats! Damn! I want a Scorpion. Wonder if you can get one in the States. (my wife is gonna kill me!)

Really interesting looking craft. Picture is definitely a Fury (you can see the name on the side of the boat if you squint hard enough).

Re:Savage kayaks - Where are they now? 14 years 6 months ago #28073

• BIG_GINGA_BEARD
  • Gold Boarder
Yeah noticed it was a fury, but wondered if it was the same boat that the article(see adrians post) was talking about?

Without trawling through it it said something about being narrower in the middle than at the bow and stern. I cant imagine paddling anything like that. What would that do to the handling?, speed? etc etc. Very bizarre. lol

I would imagine getting a boat from Canada to the US would be alot easier than getting one to the UK. Its alot closer for you to drive and pick it up than me LOL :)

Matt

Re:Savage kayaks - Where are they now? 14 years 6 months ago #28077

• cjcc
  • Guru Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I would think that the wide pieces would hurt speed because there would be more water resistance, but it would also increase stability. One sea kayaking company makes a boat similar to that, but just longer, and they weigh nothing for their length. warrenlightcraft.com/specs18.html

Re:Savage kayaks - Where are they now? 14 years 6 months ago #28079

• BIG_GINGA_BEARD
  • Gold Boarder
Sh*t the bed! sea kayaking is an expensive hobby. lol. 4k for a fibre, 5k for carbon. Dont they know plastic is cheaper. lol :)

Matt
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.