Support American Whitewater! support unicef

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: WHAT is that SMELL? or - how to clean my booties?

WHAT is that SMELL? or - how to clean my booties? 16 years 4 months ago #19115

• chris71
  • Gold Boarder
My booties, rodeo socks and other pair of kayak footwear are all 'rotten'...

I rinse, air dry, and generally take decent care of my gear (OK OK, my wife is the driving force on that...)

BUT - I can't stop my footwear from stinking, rotting, etc.
and I've not got particularly stinking feet!

I've tried soaking the gear in dish suds, helped, but the odours come back.
Tried a few commercial shoe sprays, but didn't seem to work.

What do other folks do?
should i just plan on replacing footwear each year?

PEE-YEW!:( :liar: :no:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:WHAT is that SMELL? or - how to clean my bootie 16 years 4 months ago #19116

• Kayaker0678
  • Guru Boarder
Neoprene Soap

pryana!!!!!!!!

Re:WHAT is that SMELL? or - how to clean my booties? 16 years 4 months ago #19117

• krad
  • Grom Boarder
Mirazyme odor eliminater. Mix it with your rinse water.

Re:WHAT is that SMELL? or - how to clean my bootie 16 years 4 months ago #19118

• chris71
  • Gold Boarder
THANKS!
Will try the Mirazyme - they sell it here at MEC ( www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?P...;bmUID=1193947547744)

I have tried the neoprene soap, but it wasn't effective on the booties, just my other pieces - plus it's pretty expensive (given how often I paddle, hence wash!)

Re:WHAT is that SMELL? or - how to clean my booties? 16 years 4 months ago #19122

• terryblissstick
The answer to smelly booties is to always wear socks. I did the Mirazyme for awhile but seems the bacteria starts getting an immunity after awhile. I was told that the smell was from dead skin off my feet. I used to throw booties away after every season or more. Since I started wearing socks (merino wool) I wear the booties out before they ever start to stink.

Re:WHAT is that SMELL? or - how to clean my booties? 16 years 4 months ago #19123

• ScottBarnes
  • Guru Boarder
socks are just too hot for the warm months on the east coast.

use a mild bleach solution every now and then. It will eventually rot the neoprene, but I have found that I was throwing the stinky booties out long before I started doing this. Now the booties last longer (or at least I can stand them longer) while using the bleach solution. (and it sure does prevent trench foot/ athletes foot)

Re:WHAT is that SMELL? or - how to clean my booties? 16 years 4 months ago #19127

• AdrianTregoning
  • Thank you received: 8
Christian, how well do your booties dry out between paddles? In winter our air is very dry and my booties dry nicely and therefore don't smell too bad. In summer when the air is moist they never really get properly dry between paddles and then they start smelling.. :sick: I just live with it. The booties sleep in the garage anyway... :roflol:

Re:WHAT is that SMELL? or - how to clean my booties? 16 years 4 months ago #19130

• terryblissstick
it gets pretty hot over here too! it was well over 100 around the payette's for several weeks around the 4th if july. when it gets hot we use ultra thin cool max \"liner\" socks. it's all about putting a barrier between you feet and bootie. wicks and pretty comfy too.

Re:WHAT is that SMELL? or - how to clean my booties? 16 years 4 months ago #19184

• jimbsport
  • Expert Boarder
after each run i put 1-2 drop of dishwasher soap in my sock, gloves

Re:WHAT is that SMELL? or - how to clean my bootie 16 years 4 months ago #19235

• chris71
  • Gold Boarder
jimbsport wrote:
after each run i put 1-2 drop of dishwasher soap in my sock, gloves

Yeah, I had been trying that, actually soaking them in a bubble bath of antibacterial dish soap after each paddle, but it didn't seem to work.

Perhaps my current footwear is already too 'pickled' (mmmm)...

Re:WHAT is that SMELL? or - how to clean my bootie 16 years 4 months ago #19236

• chris71
  • Gold Boarder
kayakSA wrote:
You booties have to be stinky. It is part of the booty beer law. The swimmer drinks from the smelliest/stinkiest booty.

I am amazed that it took 9 replies until someone said I'd have good drinking booties! :ask: :lol: :lol: :roflol: :bounce:

Re:WHAT is that SMELL? or - how to clean my booties? 16 years 3 months ago #19713

• AndyMcC
  • Junior Boarder
yea mate,

i had the same problem and after much deliberation i just changed them...

i dont think giving them a good wash (as i do) helps that terribly much

Re:WHAT is that SMELL? or - how to clean my booties? 15 years 5 months ago #23421

• HomerJ
  • Grom Boarder
Have you tried a product called Booty-Fresh? I use it for my surfing booties and it works great. It may be tough to find, depending on where you live (I don't think they're a very big company), but they have a website: www.booty-fresh.com

Good luck!

Re:WHAT is that SMELL? or - how to clean my booties? 15 years 5 months ago #23427

• Saz
  • Gold Boarder
Ive heard it works if you soak them in baby steriliser like millton.
I have my booties for about 4 years so maybe i should try 'cause they sure need it!
Does anyone else have the problem that they're booties actually never dry? I have mine on a hot radiator for about two months before and when i put them on they were still damp/wet. Its a horrible feeling so i invested in a new pair of shortie boots but i prefer my old ones because they go above your ankles.
Anybody?
:dry:

Re:WHAT is that SMELL? or - how to clean my bootie 15 years 5 months ago #23428

• Laddie
  • Guru Boarder
kayakSA wrote:
Someone has to remind everyone o fthe fundamentals of the booty beer laws.:D

Ive found the rules vary from place to place... I like this rule

Swim - self rescue = booty beer from YOUR bootie
Swim - assist rescue = Booty beer from THEIR bootie

Re:WHAT is that SMELL? or - how to clean my bootie 15 years 5 months ago #23432

• AdrianTregoning
Those laws sound pretty good! hahaha

Last year, as a variation to the theme, we drank from a broken paddle as well. If you break your paddle and manage to hang onto one half, you get to drink from it. They hold a fair amount of beer... Or, if you're like Philip (KayakSA) then you can pour as much booze into the hatch of an Expedition Solo and drink from the hatch.... Only for the hardcore :cheer: :woohoo:

Re:WHAT is that SMELL? or - how to clean my bootie 15 years 5 months ago #23433

• Laddie
  • Guru Boarder
I like that... too bad I only use wood paddles these days...

Re:WHAT is that SMELL? or - how to clean my bootie 15 years 5 months ago #23481

• _Danger_
  • Gold Boarder
mmm booty beer.. gotta love the taste of fresh rotting bacteria and warm beer.

As far as booty smell, I regularly rinse my booties, (usually by taking a shower and just keeping the booties at my feet and kicking them around in the water as I shower.

I know that just a little white vinegar/water solution will work, for kicks you could use a dash of baking soda. But currently I'm using white vinegar and a solution that is used for taking harmful chemicals out of the water. It's a basic water care solution for freshwater aquarium fish.. funny to think about but it takes out alkalines, chlorines, and chlorides, as well as setting a good PH balance and taking down nitrates, (which is a measurement of waste bacteria in fish tanks). I'll let you know how my experiment goes!:P :laugh:

Re:WHAT is that SMELL? or - how to clean my booties? 15 years 5 months ago #23484

• sparx
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
keep them outside or in a plastic bag. easy.

Re:WHAT is that SMELL? or - how to clean my booties? 15 years 5 months ago #23726

• ReefRash808
  • Grom Boarder
Used to use booties and wetsuit when I lived in central Cali. After paddling into some sort of runoff in the surf at Jalama, the suit smelled like all sorts of dead things. On the advice of a friend, I used a 1 liter bottle of the cheapest Vodka I could find along with a few fresh squeezed lemons. Soaked in a tub overnight and then rinsed in the morning. No more bad smells.

Re:WHAT is that SMELL? or - how to clean my booties? 15 years 5 months ago #23735

• kleppis
  • Pro Boarder
Did the smell come back after just a few times of use afterwards?

Vodka is anyway to expensive here in Norway.....

Re:WHAT is that SMELL? or - how to clean my booties? 15 years 5 months ago #23736

• AdrianTregoning
Too bad, I think a cheap bottle is only about €2.25 here in SA... Time to start packing your bags Øivind B) B) B)

Re:WHAT is that SMELL? or - how to clean my booties? 15 years 4 months ago #23737

• kleppis
  • Pro Boarder
A cheap bottle of Vodka (70cl) in Norway = 24,41 EUR

Re:WHAT is that SMELL? or - how to clean my booties? 15 years 4 months ago #23739

• ReefRash808
  • Grom Boarder
A cheap bottle of vodka in Pismo Beach was around $3.00(US) at the time, I think it was Popov brand. Here in Hawaii, a cheapo bottle is about $8.00(US) right now. I've since sold the 3mm wetsuit and booties but I still use a 2mm spring suit here on occasion. I've never had the 2mm get smelly yet, maybe because the thinner neoprene "breathes" better.

As far as the "dead" smell, it never came back. The regular use kind of smell would start brewing after about a month and I would do vodka and lemons soak again.

Re: WHAT is that SMELL? or - how to clean my booties? 12 years 2 months ago #32178

• miguelitos
  • Grom Boarder
Dr. Wilbur’s out of Venice Beach has excellent bootie freshener – it’s organic, works immediately, moistens the seals and smells great…

www.drwilburs.bigcartel.com/product/bigf...-flip-flop-freshener
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.