Playspot: USA, Illinois, Petersburg, Sangamon River, Dead Carp Drop
What's it like
"Dead Carp Drop", as this spot is jokingly called, is a deteriorated dam. The "rocks" are made up of slabs of concrete that have not been pushed into the deep pool below. The name originates from low level days in the middle of summer when fish that the fishermen have discarded begin to smell a bit...
Depending on the level, you get different features:
- Low levels (2.4 - 6 feet): a wave on river left.
- Medium levels (6 - 10): a wave on river left and a hole in the middle.
- High levels (10 +): A wave on river left, A nice wave (glassy & breaking) in the middle and a breaking wave on river right.
Dead Carp Drop Photo Gallery [all photos courtesy of Mark Gurnik and John Stefan]:
- The broken weir (very low water)
- The hole in the middle (middle water)
- Ferry Glide on to the hole in the middle (middle water)
- Cartwheel sequence (middle water)
- The wave in the middle (high water)
How to get there
From I55, take Williamsville (exit 109) West. Now continue to the intersection with Route 29 and turn right (North). Drive 6 miles to Route 123 and turn left (West). From here, drive 6 miles to Petersburg and turn left just before Hardee's. On the first Road, Sheridan, make a left to Third Street. There is a White cinder block building (water works). You can park in the rear.
Some fishermen, not necessary friendly... When there is water and light, local boaters are down there on Wednesday nights.
Login to post here